This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

HOPE. A four letter word that so many people depend on to survive.

Saying 2016 has been eventful might just be the greatest understatement of the year. If not only 2016, but life in general, has been mean to you, then we are here to remind you why you shouldn’t give up hope.

Yes, the past few months have been a disaster. You might feel like giving up in every area of your life. You might think that between family, friends, your significant other or work, there has to be a silver lining, right? But somehow, your answer is still no. You just can’t see the light at the end of the tunnel.

So how do you still keep up hope? Why should you still keep up hope? Often, our problem is that we are scared to feel something, out of fear that we might end up disappointed. Be it love, anger, sadness, regret – some find it easier to shut themselves down, rather than try to feel something. But let us tell you this: feeling something doesn’t make you weak, it makes you human. Life is too short not to care – too short to sit back and not fight for what you believe in.

Just because something seems like it’s “meant to be,” does not mean it will happen. You need to work hard, do your best and never give up, no matter how much you may want to. In the end, you have the power to make a change.

So keep trying – for yourself, for your future and for other people’s futures. Do not give up hope. Persevere, so that tomorrow, when someone else is feeling lost, you can tell them that they matter – that regardless of how bleak the world may seem, there is still so much good to be found. Don’t ever stop fighting, because the second that you do, you will lose.

Though times are tough, we all need to remember the importance of standing up, not only for ourselves, but for others as well. Don’t give up hope. You deserve the best in life, and with hard work, you’re sure to get there someday. As Samwise Gamgee once said, “There’s some good left in the world, Mr. Frodo, and it’s worth fighting for.”