Jake Santangelo: President of the Senior Class Council

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Name: Jake Santangelo

Year: Senior

Graduation Year: Class of 2014

Major: Political Science-Pre law

Describe a few ways you have worked towards your future goals?

At the start of college, it wasn’t easy to see how taking up extra work outside of class would help down the road, but I’ve found lessons in each opportunity – job, service, or leadership – that have helped out so much. Beyond academics and being involved on campus, I’ve worked really hard at 4 unpaid internships. This summer, I was a White House Intern. Working at The White House was an incredible opportunity that introduced me to so many amazing people and experiences. I have found that my work, in its successes and challenges, have helped me grow as a person. In addition to help from others, I think that my personal growth is what has helped me achieve my goals and will help me in the future. Success starts with a good attitude and character.

What things do you get involved with on campus?

Right now I’m President of the Senior Class Council, and throughout college I’ve been really involved on campus. I’ve been in Sigma Phi Epsilon since freshman year and used to be the Editor In Chief for The Odyssey, the Greek Community newspaper. On top of that I was the Community Service Chair for my fraternity, and now I continue to stay involved in the community as a volunteer at the Help A Willing Kid Foundation in Lansing.

As President of the Senior Class Council, I’m working with my teammates on the council to help our class and future Spartans overcome challenges that our class has faced. Part of accomplishing that is this year’s Senior Class Gift, which is going towards the MSUFCU Internship Opportunity Award Program. This is a program that is awarding funding to Spartans working unpaid internships. So many of us from the Class of 2014 have worked unpaid internships that were great professionally but brought us financial strain, and I think it is right that we’re working to help other Spartans with this issue.

How do you hope to inspire people with what you have experienced?

If people are to be inspired by my story, I think the most important thing is to not give up. It is one thing to work hard, but if you give up at the first loss or a sign of a challenge it’ll be hard to ever ultimately accomplish your goals. It hasn’t been easy for me and won’t be for anyone. Don’t give up and keep hope that things will get better. Eventually they will.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Helping others and creating change.

Alena Davis is a senior journalism major at MSU and co-campus correspondent for HCMSU. She hopes to pursue a career in magazines based in New York or Chicago. In her spare time, she enjoys cooking, Instagramming and excursioning with friends. Follow her on Twitter: @alenaadavis & Instagram: @alenadavis