This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Get to Know New Editor-in-Chief of VIM Magazine and Former Her Campus Writer

Name: Hannah Watts

Age: 20

Year: Senior

Hometown: Clawson, Michigan  

Major: Journalism with a minor in Public Relations

Dream job: I’d love to be a beauty editor, but overall, I’m really interested in the intersection of beauty, technology and startups. I interned for YouTube star and entrepreneur Michelle Phan the summer after my freshman year, and it opened my eyes to how one digital platform can create a community, revolutionize an entire industry and reinvent how companies communicate with customers.

For example, Michelle Phan co-founded ipsy, a beauty subscription service where subscribers receive a customized bag full of deluxe samples and full-sized products delivered straight to their door for $10 a month. That being said, I’d also love to work for Google or YouTube coordinating partnerships or as a production manager interacting with talent.

Plans post-graduation: Hopefully I’ll have a great job secured by graduation that will lead me to a rewarding career! Having interned in both New York and Los Angeles, I’m keeping my options open and applying to a variety of places. For fun, I’m planning a trip to San Diego for Comic Con 2016. I’ve always wanted to go, but never had the chance!

What are you involved in on campus? In addition to school and work, I am the co-Editor-in-Chief of VIM Magazine, Michigan State University’s only fashion, beauty and lifestyle publication. Having started out as a writer my freshman year, it’s so rewarding to have worked my way up to co-leading the organization. Now, I look forward to helping and mentoring new members about the magazine industry and giving advice on school, internships and following your passion.

Favorite spot on campus: The WJ Beal Botanical Gardens

Biggest piece of advice you would give to future Spartans: Be passionate, prepared and seek out opportunity. Luck is when opportunity meets preparation! Get involved on campus and start interning and gaining experience as soon as possible! Whether it’s a quick conversation over coffee or a full-on mentorship, spend time with professionals in your projected industry. It will help you narrow your focus and figure out what is right for you.

Favorite college memory: Believe it or not, my favorite college memory is taking my first step on MSU’s campus. It’s hard to explain, but I just had a good feeling, like I suddenly knew it’s where I was meant to be.

Which celebrity would you most want to trade places with and why: Mindy Kaling! She’s hilarious, and we need to be best friends. She’s an actor, writer, producer and director, and she is the epitome of a hardworking, intelligent and down-to-earth woman in Hollywood! Not to mention, she writes and stars in her own show, The Mindy Project and used to write for NBC’s The Office.

What are you most passionate about? I love beauty, entertainment and the environment.

Favorite pastime: A recent one was meeting Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter) during my internship at NYLON Magazine in New York.

Number one thing on your bucket list: Visit Brazil, do some hiking and visit the “Christ the Redeemer” statue in Rio de Janeiro.

Fun fact: I like to sing and decided to audition for American Idol when it came to Detroit in 2013. Even though I didn’t make the cut, I had a ton of fun and met some great people I still keep up with today. I’d do it again in a heartbeat.

Guilty pleasure: I’m a HUGE geek for The Avengers, or anything Marvel, really. And I’m not going to lie, I watch The Bachelor.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Living in California… enjoying a fulfilling career and having a family. Anything can happen, though, so for now I’m taking it one day at a time!

Favorite quote: “If you’re offered a seat on a rocket ship, don’t ask what seat. Just get on.” –Sheryl Sandberg

Instagram: @wattshannahm

Twitter: @wattshannahm

LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/wattshannahm

Feminist | Editor | Lesbian