30 Signs You’re From Michigan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.
  1. You’ve used your hand as a map.

2. You know how great it is to be Up North, especially during the summertime.

3. You’ve been teased by warm temperatures early in the year, only to receive a foot of snow the very next week.

4. You’re used to the Lions crushing your hopes and dreams season after season.

5. You had to wear a winter coat over your Halloween costume.

6. You call it pop, not soda.

7. You know how to correctly pronounce Mackinac, Charlevoix and Sault St. Marie.

8. You get annoyed when you see license plates from Illinois, Ohio, etc. and have questioned how they’re legally allowed on the roads.

9. You know how incredibly beautiful our fall colors are and usually take a long drive just to see the trees.

10. You know someone who works for Ford or GM.

11. One of your childhood trips consisted of going to Sleeping Bear Dunes and seeing who could climb the fastest.

12. You’ve had fudge from Mackinac Island.

13. Although you were usually left disappointed, the thought of having a snow day was still wildly exciting to you.

14. You’re well aware of the MSU – U of M rivalry and have probably avoided certain fans after each game.

15. You always make a trip to the cider mill in the fall.

16. You know what a Michigan left turn is (despite the fact that they’re inconvenient and sometimes terrifying).

17. You reach for Vernor’s when your stomach starts to ache.

18. You know Michigan has two seasons: Winter and Construction.

19. You know what a pasty is and have experienced its warm, flaky deliciousness.

20. You know that the UP is a place, not a direction.

21. To you, nothing beats a hot summer day at Comerica, eating a hot dog and watching the Tigers play.

22. You know how to play and pronounce euchre.

23. You had blue moon ice cream as a kid (and know you can’t really get it in any other state).

24. You’re still proud of Detroit, despite any naysayers.

25. You know what the term “Yooper” refers to.

26. You can’t stand Ohio State and should probably avoid even saying the word “Ohio.”

27. You always return your cans and don’t understand how people from other states simply throw them away.

28. You know that Michigan has both Hell and Paradise.

29. You know that the opening day of deer season is pretty much considered a holiday.

30. You’re proud to say you’re from the beautiful, wonderful mitten.
Feminist | Editor | Lesbian