This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

College life can be one of the busiest times in your life. Balancing class, school work, jobs, internships, friends, clubs and research, while still making time to relax, can be near impossible. However, it’s still important to find time to think about yourself. It’s important because without having a healthy, happy mind, you can’t succeed in all of the other parts of your life.

In light of Mental Health Day Oct. 10, here are some ways to care for your mind.

Find ways to love yourself

When you value yourself, you have the confidence to go about your life with passion.

This is definitely easier said than done. Yet, it’s vital to be happy. Try starting by finding value in one or two things about yourself. Then, focus on those things. Eventually, you’ll be able to love more and more about yourself and become a happier person.

Exercise

Exercise is both important for physical health and gaining confidence. If you can power through that three-mile run, then you can definitely write that five-page paper. Also, exercise can be a great way to cope with stress and anxiety.

Pamper yourself

When you take care of yourself, you are also taking care of your mind. Take a bath if you have access to tub. Put on lotion. Shave your legs. There’s something about pampering yourself that is just relaxing. If you don’t have the time, at the very least, take an extra-long, hot shower and try not to think about much.

Find ways to help you deal with stress

Do you need to take a power Pilates class to relax? Or take a break throughout studying? Find ways to help you cope with the stress of a busy schedule that work well for you.

Surround yourself with good people

Being friends with positive people who encourage you to do your best and always have your back is so important. Sometimes, you need someone to lean on, and you want to have people around you to help you through rough times.

Get a good night’s sleep

Pumping your body full of coffee and getting three hours of sleep so you can cram for a test won’t actually help you get a better grade. You will be anxious and worn out come test time. Getting a full six to eight hours of sleep will help you feel relaxed and keep your mind healthy.

Drink plenty of water

When your day is busy as heck and you have no time to even think about extra things, drinking water may not be on your radar all that much. I suggest you invest in a good water bottle. When you’re dehydrated, you don’t feel well.

Meditate or do yoga

Sometimes when you have a ton of thoughts bouncing around your head, it can be hard to quiet them. Try breathing exercises, meditation, or yoga to simmer down your thoughts and think clearer.

Avoid alcohol and drugs

We all know that alcohol and many drugs act as depressants on your brain. This won’t help you feel better or solve any of your problems. Avoiding alcohol and drugs can make you healthier and happier.

Ask for help

At the end of the day, realize that mental illness is a real thing and sometimes you need some help to cope with it. And that’s okay! This could mean calling your mom, talking to a therapist, or even starting medication. Understand that you can’t necessarily do everything on your own and you are not weak if you ask for help.

HC Contributer Mizzou