From High School to University: Two Months In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

So, my fellow first years, we did it. We have all survived our first two months at McGill. Think, just five months ago we were tossing our graduation caps into the air, saying goodbye to our best friends and now, we have officially experienced the insanity that is Frosh, attended our first university classes, and have probably made a few regrettable decisions along the way. Hopefully, like myself, you have been enjoying every second of your time here. During this adjustment period, however, not every moment has been Instagram-worthy. The following are the three things that had the biggest impact in popping that “high school” bubble.

1. Throwback to home

For most of us, coming to university will be the first extended period of time spent away from our families, friends, and the room and space we know and love. Two months in: The posters have been hung, the brand-new bedspread laid out, and your new space is beginning to feel actually lived in. But something still feels off. Despite the hundreds of dollars spent on decorations to make your dorm or apartment look insanely fabulous, you may find yourself really craving a night in your own bed and in your own room. The new stuff is great (especially the overly-priced decorative pillows that just end up on the floor), but what will really make you feel better during those times will be an item from your room back home. A picture, a book, a candle, or even a crumpled up note from your junior high best friend can immediately make you more at ease in your new space.

2. “What? Like it’s hard?” 

The above is a quote from everybody’s favorite blonde law student, Elle Woods, and they are words that I myself uttered multiple times over the past summer before coming to university. Two months in: A huge adjustment from high school to university is the workload. In high school, a parent or teacher loomed over you to make sure your assignments were complete. At university, you finally realize it is up to you to complete your assignments. On time. The handholding of high school is done. If you are already feeling overwhelmed, do not be too proud to ask for help. Just because you were at the top of your class in high school does not mean you won’t face challenges in your academics here. The teaching styles may be different from what you’re used to and you might not catch on to it right away. Do not be discouraged! You clearly had the brains to get here, so use them!

3. No sleep tonight! 

Similarly to your parents watching over your schoolwork, they are no longer there to set a bedtime or curfew. Two months in: You are as responsible for yourself as you are for your grades. With all of this new freedom, it can be tempting to take advantage of it. If you want to stay up all night clubbing (or watching “Grey’s Anatomy” on Netflix), you now have that choice. However, you then have the pleasure of waking up insanely exhausted for your 8:30 lecture. You have to remember you are here for school, not the parties. You can have fun and hang out with your friends (or Dr. McDreamy), but it is all about moderation.  

After these first couple of months, I can safely say that university is nothing like I thought it was going to be. It’s better! The jolting switch from the strict structure of a high school to nearly complete independence can be exceedingly overwhelming. However, if we remember why we are here and stay focused, the next six months will be a breeze for all of us. 

Images obtained from:

http://www.mahfuzurrahman.com/gallery/upload/2012/10/05/20121005055659-f…

https://31.media.tumblr.com/0f9f23cdff591a63cbde8400b8ae83d0/tumblr_nct4…

https://33.media.tumblr.com/af9c1403f5b263a6ed67b9f6a532ab28/tumblr_mm4z…

https://31.media.tumblr.com/90f16fc4f994bfd59166d70ef9d17019/tumblr_inli…

Originally from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Gabrielle is a fourth year student at McGill University. She watches a lot (some might say too much TV) and has gotten into screaming matches over movies. In her spare time, she enjoys being utterly self-deprecating. For clever tweets, typically composed by her favorite television writers, follow her twitter. For overly-posed (but pretending not to be) photographs follow her Instagram.