jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

One in Three Terps Will Feel Too Depressed to Function

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Sometimes getting out of bed can be the most difficult task Lorah Norman will complete all day. The University of Maryland junior was diagnosed with depression about three years ago.

“When I get really stressed out, I just shut down and don’t do anything,” said Norman, a family science major. “There have been assignments I haven’t submitted because I was so overwhelmed that I just told myself ‘this doesn’t matter at all,’ so I would just quit.”

According to the University of Maryland’s University Health Center website, one in three Terps will feel too depressed to function this year. Depression can lead to suicidal thoughts, the second leading cause of death among college students. .

“I was watching TV with my mom and [Sarah Silverman] said, ‘[depression] feels like being homesick, but you’re already home’ and that was so powerful to me, because that’s exactly what it feels like for me,” Norman said. “It’s like you’re longing for this feeling of safety and comfort, and you feel as though there’s nothing you can do to achieve it by yourself.”

When depression and suicide are such prominent issues on college campuses, universities are expected to have resources for suffering students. The University Health Center offers therapy and psychiatry for students dealing with depression and other mental illnesses.

“The health center has several other services … that are also very helpful for depression symptoms:  acupuncture, meditation, massage, and our new bimonthly therapy dogs drop-in hours,” said Dr. Marta J. Hopkinson,  the Director of Mental Health at the UHC. “Stressful times are associated with an increase in students presenting depression and anxiety symptoms and crises,” Hopkinson said. “The two peak months for students requesting mental health help are October and April.”

The coordinator of the Triage Services and Suicide Prevention Program at the health center, Jeri Boliek, said that more students come in “right before midterms and finals.”

Though this university offers resources for students, Boliek said there’s never enough mental health support on or off campus.

“The general public also has trouble finding psychiatrists, therapists … It is a funding priority issue for government, schools, etc.,” said Boliek, who is also a licensed certified social worker.

The UHC’s mental health service is “extremely busy,” according to Hopkinson. However, students in crisis can always visit for assistance.

“During the busiest times, students are assessed for the seriousness of their symptoms and those with the most pressing needs are seen first,” Hopkinson said.

Other resources listed on the UHC website include suicide prevention training, a list of warning signs of suicide and depression, and suggestions on how to help someone who is talking about suicide.

Hopkinson said students with a family history of depression are at a higher risk for developing the mental illness.

“Other risk factors for students include social isolation, poor nutrition, excessive substance use and academic struggles,” Hopkinson said.

Boliek listed additional at-risk groups: “People who are more isolated get more depressed, such as new transfers, new freshmen with social anxiety, international students with no supports in this country.”

Victoria Bowcutt is a resident assistant in Prince Frederick Hall, which is home to a majority of freshmen and sophomores.

“I once had a resident who suffered from depression that would not get out of their bed for three days and only communicated scary thoughts to their roommate,” she said. “The resident’s roommate came to me on the first day expressing concern.”

UMD resident assistants and directors are trained on the mental health resources available at this university and encourage professional help to residents dealing with mental health issues.

“I told the roommate and the resident how to get professional help on campus and offered to go with them,” Bowcutt said. “Whenever someone notices a sign of a mental health issue, the department takes it very seriously and makes sure the resident gets to someone they feel comfortable talking to.”

To combat her depression, Norman said she tries to stay busy.

“Things are usually really bad when I let myself skip class and watch Netflix all day,” Norman said. “So I just try to remind myself that sometimes giving yourself time off isn’t the right thing to do. It sort of fuels the depression.”

Hopkinson also recommended some ways for students who are feeling depressed to help themselves outside of using the UHC.

“Some things students can do … include getting sun exposure, eating healthy foods … regular exercise, and frequent social contact,” she said.

Boliek added suggestions such as good sleeping habits and leaning on family for support.

Chelsea is a student at the University of Maryland - College Park and a life-long fan of the reality show Survivor. When she's not talking about how much she loves her dog, she's most likely catching up on TV shows. Chelsea spends a lot of her free time on social media and hopes to one day work for MTV. Her favorite things to do are eat Oreos, explore new places and write. You can find her on Instagram: @chellyhanson and Tinder.