New Year’s Resolutions for a Better You!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

It’s time to start thinking about our New Year’s resolutions. 2016 is coming to a close and while we look back on the good, the bad and all the craziness that this year has brought us, it’s time to start thinking about ways to improve in the new year.

Here are some tips and tricks on creating New Year’s resolutions that will make 2017 your best year yet!

1. Start a workout regimen.

As we grow, it’s important to exercise to stay healthy and prevent future illnesses. Sure, it’s hard to create a workout schedule during college with classes, clubs and partying, but finding a time to be physically active will benefit your mind and body.

According to a study by the Canadian Medical Association Journal, “Physical inactivity is a modifiable risk factor for cardiovascular disease and a widening variety of other chronic diseases.” This list includes diabetes, certain cancers, obesity, hypertension, osteoporosis, osteoarthritis and depression.

In the 2008 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans, the Office of Disease Prevention and Health promotion suggested, “Adults need at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity and should perform muscle-strengthening exercises on two or more days each week.” According to the CDC, “moderate-intensity physical activity” could be as easy as brisk walking.

When creating an exercise plan, start simple. Just 30 minutes a day for five days will allow you to reach the 150 suggested minutes of physical activity, and you’ll still get the weekends to relax!

2. Eat healthier.

As college students, it’s difficult to create a healthy meal plan when the Stamp has tasty options like Chick-fil-A and Taco Bell. However, it is also important to nourish our bodies with healthy foods, which will help us “maintain a healthy body weight, support nutrient adequacy, and reduce the risk of chronic disease,” the 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans says.

The Guidelines suggest that a healthy eating pattern includes vegetables, fruits, grains, fat-free or low-fat dairy, protein foods and oils. What really matters is that these food groups are low in added sugars, sodium and saturated fats.

In addition, calorie intake is another factor that is important in maintaining a healthy diet. The suggested daily number of calories for the average American varies based on age, sex, height, weight and physical activity. But, the USDA created a helpful chart to help you figure out what your daily calorie intake should be.

3. Sleep more!

Yes, you read that right. The average college student gets between 6 and 6.9 hours of sleep each night, according to the University Health Center at the University of Georgia. However, the National Institutes of Health suggests teens should get 9 to 10 hours of sleep each night and adults should be getting 7 to 8 hours of sleep.

And no, napping doesn’t quite cut it. “Naps may provide a short-term boost in alertness and performance,” the NIH says, “However, napping doesn’t provide all of the other benefits of night-time sleep. Thus, you can’t really make up for lost sleep.”

A trick to getting the recommended amount of sleep each night is to go to bed at the same time and wake up at the same time every day. Also, make sure your room is relaxing and comfortable. And maybe don’t keep your phone right beside your bed to help reduce temptation to use it before you fall asleep.

Chelsea is a student at the University of Maryland - College Park and a life-long fan of the reality show Survivor. When she's not talking about how much she loves her dog, she's most likely catching up on TV shows. Chelsea spends a lot of her free time on social media and hopes to one day work for MTV. Her favorite things to do are eat Oreos, explore new places and write. You can find her on Instagram: @chellyhanson and Tinder.