nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Revive Your Résumé

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

If you didn’t already know, September is Update Your Résumé Month.  After completing an internship this summer, and trying to add my new experience to my résumé, I found myself looking for ways to make it look a little more artistic and unique.

Here are some of my tips for refreshing your résumé:

1. Assess how much content you have to include. How much information you have will largely determine the layout.

1. Make sure your name and address are clear.  If someone is reading your résumé, but can’t figure out what your name is, or forgets, you may get lost in a pile.

1. Be consistent with the placement of certain information. For example, when you list an experience, always put the correlating time span in the same spot.

1. Make sure all of your sections follow a sequence and the order is clear.  This can vary based on the position you are applying for.  Maintain a sequential order, or organize by relevance.

1. Keep the writing style consistent: present or past tense, bulleted lists or full sentences.

1. Check for GRAMMAR, SPELLING and SYNTAX.  There is nothing worse than describing yourself as having “good writing skills” and then also having typos and errors in your résumé.

1. My final tip is to put in some extra time and make your résumé look pretty! I am not extremely fluent in Adobe software, but if I put in the time I can manage. I took to Adobe Illustrator to spice up the look.  Try picking a color or two that you like.