This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

With summer fast approaching, we’re all trying to get back into bikini shape. While fitting in gym sessions is a must, one easy way to get in shape on a tight schedule is by watching what we eat. Cooking for yourself is the best way to ensure that what you’re putting into your body is fresh, healthy, and of good quality. In order to help you get into your best shape, I’ve prepared a selection of healthy, quick, and easy recipes. You don’t have to be a top chef to make these meals, and they’ll have you feeling and looking good in no time.

1. Grilled Chicken with Roasted Kale Salad

photo courtesy of Food Network

This recipe from Food Network is super healthy and packed with nutrients. Chicken is a great source of protein, and all it needs is a few simple seasonings and the right amount of cooking time to taste great. The side salad is made up of kale and tomatoes roasted with garlic, mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, and Parmesan cheese. Kale is an extremely healthy vegetable, loaded with vitamins and nutrients. Also, don’t believe what people say about its taste—From my personal experience, kale is a flavorful vegetable that when cooked correctly and paired with the right seasonings can be delicious. 

2. Chicken Tacos

Photo credit: Abby Burton

Mexican food is one of my favorite types of food both to eat and cook, and this recipe for chicken tacos that I made up a few weeks ago is fast, easy, and delicious! With Cinco de Mayo coming up, it’s also the perfect time to try this recipe and have a taco and margarita night with your friends. All you need to make this is a rotisserie chicken, guacamole, salsa, tortillas, and any other seasonings or toppings you like on your tacos! You can get pre-cooked rotisserie chickens at just about any major grocery store, and they’re great to have in your fridge for just about any meal. When making tacos, I like to take the skin off the chicken and shred as much of it as I need. You can also buy pre-made guacamole and salsa at any grocery store, but I like to make my own! If you decide that’s what you want to do, here’s how:

Guacamole (this should be enough for four to six tacos, so if you want more, feel free to double the recipe!):

• Two ripe avocados
  • Limejuice, squeezed from one whole lime (I usually like to buy more than one lime and add more juice until it tastes right)
  • 1 tablespoon of cilantro
  • 2 tablespoons of finely diced red onion
  • 3 tablespoons of diced tomato
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Homemade Fresh Salsa:

• Three tomatoes, diced
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons of cilantro (feel free to add more if it tastes right to you)
  • Limejuice, squeezed from one whole lime
  • ½ cup of finely sliced green onions
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • If you like your salsa spicy, you can also finely chop up half a jalapeno and toss it in!

Once you’re done with all that, you’re ready to put your tacos together. I like to buy small corn tortillas and briefly heat them up in a frying pan before adding in my chicken, salsa, guacamole, and other toppings.

3. Tortellini Salad

Photo credit: Abby Burton

This is one of my absolute favorite meals. It’s perfect by itself for lunch, and for dinner I like to serve it on the side of chicken breast or a veggie burger. Amy’s California Veggie burgers are my personal favorite. You can get them in the frozen section at most grocery stores, they take only about 6 minutes to cook in a frying pan, and they’re absolutely delicious. I like to have them on a whole wheat hamburger bun with mayonnaise, lettuce, and tomato. Now, as for the pasta salad… My mom made up this simple recipe over the summer, and since then, I can’t get enough! It’s my go-to meal when I want something quick, easy, and delicious. To make it, first boil a pot of water and cook one 20-ounce package of cheese tortellini. While the pasta is cooking, dice one tomato, half of one green pepper, half of one red pepper, and half of a red onion. When the pasta is done, drain it and add basil pesto and the vegetables and mix. I usually add a little bit of salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese as well. This meal is delicious served hot or cold. The fresh, colorful veggies make for a perfect spring meal!

These three recipes are easy to make, nutritious, and extremely tasty. Everyone knows that it’s hard to eat healthy in college, especially with places like Slices and Chipotle basically in our backyard. But learning to cook a few quick and healthy recipes like these will keep you fit and healthy!