Sorority Spotlight: Kappa Alpha Theta

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lehigh chapter.

Want to learn more about each sorority? For the next nine weeks, we will be featuring each chapter on campus. This week: Kappa Alpha Theta.

ICYMI: AXO and APhi

How would you describe the typical Kappa Alpha Theta woman?

We don’t have a typical member! The chapter prides itself on being a group of women who accept each other for our differences.  We are leading women: individuals that encourage each other to reach higher.

What is your best memory as a house?

One of our favorite memory’s is Bid Day Spring 2015.  We were all so excited to welcome a wonderful New Member Class to Theta. The atmosphere was so exciting and friendly. It was Olympic themed and we played minute-to-win-it challenges, and had an incredible time!

How big are your PCs usually?

Our PCs average around 25 new members

What is your overall house GPA?

3.26

What is the chapter’s favorite meal that the chef makes?

Our chef Michael is the best and we always ask him about his baby daughter Nora (a Theta in training)!  Michael makes the best mac and cheese in the world and it’s a house favorite.

What are your favorite Kappa Alpha Theta traditions?

Our chapter takes ritual very seriously.  As the first women’s fraternity, we are built on tradition and ritual and it has a place in everything we do.  Our ritual is very personal to us and brings us closer together.

How is your chapter different from the others on campus?

We encourage individuality while still maintaining unity.  We love that our sisters are involved all around campus and in the community.  We support in any way we can and what binds us together is our passion.  Most people think that a sorority is something to conform to, but Theta creates an environment where you can be the best, most genuine version of yourself.

What is your philanthropy? What are some events that you do to raise money & awareness for your philanthropy?

Our philanthropy is CASA, which stands for Court Appointed Special Advocates.  They are specially trained volunteers who are assigned to kids on the foster system to give them the support they need to be successful.  Every spring we hold Kicks for CASA, a soccer tournament in Grace Hall, and this fall we are hosting a brand new event called Candyland for CASA!

Some people are worried about the financial commitment that is associated with Greek Life. How have sisters in your sorority dealt with this issue?

Our chapter has the option of a payment plan to decrease the burden of paying dues!  We also highlight scholarships that are offered by our International Organization as well as by the university.

What would be your chapter’s advice for a PNM about going through recruitment?

Keep your mind open.  Recruitment is a whole week of meeting new people and discovering new friendships in order to find a place to call home.

Tumblr: http://lehightheta.tumblr.com/

Instagram: @LehighTheta

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LehighKappaAlphaTheta

Twitter: @LehighTheta

Website: http://www.lehightheta.org/

Sign Up for Her Campus Lehigh’s Recruitment Newsletter Here

Hi, I'm Amber! I'm the President & a Co-Correspondent of Her Campus Lehigh. I'm a senior Marketing major minoring in both French and Mass Communications at Lehigh University and graduating in May 2017. I am currently the founder of JC Cares 4 U, a Non-Profit Organization aiming to help breast cancer survivors, and I am an Admissions Fellow at Lehigh University Admissions where I interview prospective high school seniors. I have a passion for great food, traveling, and keeping up with celebrity tabloids. I love staying busy, trying new things, and believe in paying it forward. Someday I'll write my own tell-all book so you'll have to wait for it's release to learn more about me!