Style > Beauty

Beauty Blog: Cheap and Cheerful Care For Your Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

We all know that being a student and having no money goes hand in hand but this doesn’t mean that we have to miss out on having super shiny, beautiful hair. Forget all the top ‘we’re worth it’ £20 hair mask luxury products and go DIY instead! Look no further for your ingredients than your kitchen cupboard or fridge.  I decided to try out a homemade hair mask myself and roped a couple friends into it too!   

The idea of pouring a load of egg and oil over my head wasn’t exactly appealing but I thought I would give the 1 egg and 2 tablespoons of olive oil recipe a go.   

Raw egg is brilliant for hair due to the yolks being rich in protein and fats that naturally moisturise. The white of the egg removes unwanted oils because of its bacteria eating enzymes.

Meanwhile the olive oil moisturises the skin on your head and is a perfect conditioning treatment for dry, split ends.

I applied the mixture generously to my hair then wrapped it up in a bun so my hair could soak up the benefits fully. I won’t lie; the feeling of raw egg on the nape of your neck is not exactly pleasant. After half an hour I washed my hair normally in the shower and I must admit it did feel substantially softer and very sleek.

Another kitchen cupboard essential that helps is honey.

Honey attracts and locks in moisture so if your hair suffers because of sun exposure or too much styling then this is perfect to slap on your hair.  I mixed it with 1 tablespoon of olive oil to make it easier to apply and add to the smoothness effect. I applied this to my friends’ hair and definitely saw an improvement in the shine and texture.

Also worth noting for hair care, is flat beer. This is great for boosting tired hair and giving it a bit of a lift, which is due to the huge amounts of yeast in the fermented drink. So think twice before chucking away the left over cups of ale from the game of beer pong the night before. My flat-mate wasn’t very impressed when I asked her to douse her hair in stale beer but after washing it as normal with shampoo and conditioner after half an hour, she was happily surprised with the results!

There are so many other options to try out too, all completely within your weekly budget.

If your hair is dull and lacks shine then using something as simple as plain yogurt can sort this right out. If you massage about half a cup into damp hair and leave it for twenty minutes then wash hair as normal it boosts both moisture and sleekness! Lemon juice is great as well as it can help get rid of pesky dandruff or flaky scalps, as it is high in acidity so rids the scalp of unwanted dry skin.

So next time you’ve got a big night out coming up or you’re simply fed up with dry limp hair, don’t worry about breaking the bank. Treat your hair with a simple and cheap trip to your local supermarket!

Liv Johnson

Image Sources: my own