“Dangerously in Love”: Beyoncé’s Most Underrated Album

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Beyoncé. One of the largest female musical icons ever. She is my all time favorite female artist not only because she embodies everything feminism stands for, but also because her music is also very relatable to my life. Below I have made a small list of why Beyoncé’s first solo album, Dangerously in Love, is one of the most underrated Beyoncé albums to date. While some top hits are included, many fail to realize Beyoncé’s true vocal talent exemplified in her more soulful songs.

Crazy in love

This song is my ultimate jam! I will dance to this until my feet bleed. Also, the message of this song is extremely relatable with the guys in college that you may want to have a fling with. It reminds me of a typical first crush story. Boy and girl meet, sparks fly; it’s the start of a beautiful, blossoming relationship. Even if you don’t have any feelings for a man, this is still a classic Beyoncé hit that anyone can dance to.

Naughty Girl

This is the song where you dance with your girl squad. Also, I like to think of this as the “rebound song.” You’re dancing at a party after breaking up or calling off a fling with one person and lock eyes with another cutie and you want him/her to notice you. So, you and your squad go ham with this song in the hopes to get the cutie to notice you.  

Baby boy

This is a very chill song and a little slow to dance to, but, regardless, Beyoncé knows the perfect balance between upbeat and mellow music.

Hip Hop Star

This one is very suggestive, however it is also very catchy. I could definitely see myself dancing to this at a party surrounded by my closest friends.

Be with you

Basically, Beyoncé speaks for every girl when she sings this song. It’s what every girl wants in a typical, charming guy. Her high notes in this are also the best thing in collaboration with the slowness of this song.

Me, Myself, and I

Imagine you were in a relationship, have been for years, and then all of a sudden the other person breaks it off. You are heartbroken, can’t believe it, however you came to the realization that you don’t need that person in your life. Why? Because you are so much better and way out of their league. So, gather that fantabulous girl squad of yours and enjoy your girls night out!

Yes

Beyoncé explains every woman’s frustration when a man refuses to listen to her and is just plain being a jerk. Us women do not need that type of negativity in our life, so leave the guy and go hang out with your fellow women. Can I say #girlpower?!—Yes.

Signs

Zodiac addict? Well this song is definitely for you. If you’re like me, and low key base off potential relationships on zodiac signs then you will definitely relate to Beyoncé on a spiritual level with this song where she explains her falling in love with a Sagittarius in relation to the other zodiacs.

Speechless

Beyoncé’s vocals leave me speechless. Enough said.

That’s how you like it

This is the flirty stage of a relationship… or, in other words, the honeymoon stage. During this point in the relationship, there is nothing wrong with your significant other and that’s the way you want it to stay. Also, Jay-Z and Beyoncé need to keep collaborating forever because they are goals.

The Closer I Get to You

This is a highly underrated song. It’s a typical love song, however, nothing like what plays today. It emphasizes sweet moments between you and your honey… I did not tear up at all.

Daddy

While today, “Daddy” can mean many different people, Beyoncé dedicates this song to her father. She thanks him for the love and support he has shown her throughout the years. This is typically how most daughters feel about their father and being idealized as Daddy’s Little Girl.

Overall, Beyoncé’s first solo album was a large success. In terms of lyrics and musicality, I felt that the album perfectly summed up a series of flings and flirts for me. Not only does she describe relationships with partners but also the familial love from her father. Her title, “Dangerously In Love,” accurately portrays the ups and downs of women in relationships through the use of all of her songs.

Image credits: Giphy.com

Anushka is a hopeful (undeclared) Pscyhlogy or Economics major. She is a sophomore at Kenyon College, and while she's not working hard in school, she can be found admiring memes and cute dogs. Anushka is from Seattle, Washington and loves spending time with her friends and hiking the many mountains of the Pacific Northwest.