This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

I just turned 21 last week, and even though I’m still incredibly young, I like to think I’ve gained some wisdom over the years. Here are 21 things that I have learned in my mere 21 years of life.

1. Question everything.

Just because a politician said it, or your professor said it, or you heard it on TV, doesn’t make it true. Be informed. Look at everything as a question just waiting for you to form your own answer.

2. Stand up for what you believe in, even if you’re standing alone.

It’s hard to fight peer pressure. But if you believe in a cause, or you feel that something is worth fighting for, you’ll feel better in the long run knowing that even when everyone else turned their backs, you held your ground and spoke your mind.

3. Never apologize for your passion.

It’s great to get all nerdy about things you like. Don’t feel bad about loving that horrible sitcom or knowing all the words to Justin Bieber’s latest album. Love what you love and never let anyone make you feel like what you love doesn’t deserve time.

4. It’s okay to be cliché sometimes.

We’re way too concerned with being academic or articulate. If what you say has been said before, it’s okay to repeat it. After all, no idea is ever truly original.

5. It’s never too late to learn something new.

Seriously. It may seem like everyone has been doing whatever they’re doing for years, but the truth is, we’re all still figuring it out. If you decided you might like painting, but have never picked up a brush before: do it. It’s not too late to find something you love.

6. Life is too short to spend time on people who aren’t good to you.

If you think your friend is toxic, you’re probably right. Don’t waste time making up excuses who make you feel bad or uncomfortable. You’re better off without them.

7. Make time for what you love.

If you love to write, but you’re a science major, make time to sit down with a pen and paper. If you’re passionate about it, it’s worth prioritizing.

8. Volunteer.

You’ll never feel better than when you’ve helped someone out. It’ll probably make their day, which will probably make your day.

9. Be punctual.

It never hurts to be early. Being late, on the other hand…

10. Love yourself.

Embrace who you are and what you do. Everyone has flaws and things to work on in their lives, but there is only one you, and you have to embrace that.

11. Don’t take yourself too seriously.

Laugh at yourself. Joke. You’ll be happier.

12. Never do something you don’t want to, because you feel like you have to.

Your happiness and comfort comes before anyone else. Never feel pressured or obligated to do something you don’t want to do.

13. Don’t sweat the small stuff.

What seems like a crisis now will probably be forgotten sooner than later. Keep Calm and Carry On.

14. Don’t apologize for being you.

Over the years, people have called me out for being weird, or being quiet. You can’t allow people to dictate who you are because you don’t fit some kind standard that they have subscribed you to.

15. Experiment.

Dye your hair blue. Take a Neuroscience class. Wear a dress every day. We are constantly evolving. Play round. Find out what you like and go for it.

16. Don’t make promises you can’t keep.

This means to yourself and to others.

17. Don’t settle.

If you think you can do better, you probably can.

18. Never lose yourself in someone else.

Being in love is great, but never forget who you are. Don’t let someone else come before you do.

19. Get out of your comfort zone.

You just might find yourself when you cross over into new territory.

20. Forget your enemies, and keep your friends closer.

Hate is too ugly to hold on to. Let the bad people in your life go. Don’t even think about them. Instead, focus on the people who you truly care about and who truly care about you. You’ll be happier and healthier in the long run.

21. Have fun.

It’s easy to lose sight of the importance of fun when you’re buried in a pile of final projects, but fun is fundamental to success.

Those are the things I’ve learned during my short life, collegiates. Do you have any you care to share? Let us know in the comments!

Image credits: Giphy.com

Reagan Neviska is a senior at Kenyon College where she studies Anthropology and Music. She is an active member of her coed Greek service organization, The Archon Society, as well as the president of Gospel Choir, a Her Campus Chapter Writer, and a member of the Symphonic Wind Ensemble, where she plays percussion. Reagan's interests include reading, practicing and listening to music, playing with dogs (her family has four!) and watching Downton Abbey.  You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @Reagaroni.