This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Kent State University is no stranger to ice, snow and a lot of wind! With all of these factors active for months on end, students may experience what some psychologists describe as “the winter blues.”

Due to the shorter days, less sunlight is available. Not only can this reduce one’s Vitamin D intake, it can also throw off circadian rhythms causing individuals to sleep way more or less. It doesn’t take a scientist to analyze that changes in sleep can definitely impact mood and energy levels. Accomplishing school work and attending meetings can become more challenging during the winter. Experts on the matter undoubtedly recommend changing up exercise routines to keep your body and mind fresh. You could even go the extra mile by pursuing a winter sport like skiing or snowboarding. Other solutions for your mood problems could include eating healthier, setting long and short term goals, planning social gatherings or vacations, listening to upbeat music or seeing live shows and exposing yourself to more light (natural or artificial). 

If you notice that sadness during seasonal changes becomes a pattern, you may have S.A.D. or Seasonal Affective Disorder. Regularly occurring seasonal depression effects 9 million people in the U.S. alone, according to Web MD. Symptoms of S.A.D. include those most closely related to depression such as fatigue, feelings of hopelessness, changes in appetite, weight gain and suicidal thoughts. These symptoms may arrive in late fall or early winter and fade with the arrival of spring. In rare cases, individuals may suffer from a form of S.A.D. in the summertime. Psychologists suggest planning physical activities and events to look forward to. Also, light therapy can ease symptoms of the disorder. Light therapy refers to simulating the sun with artificial light sources and has been proven to literally brighten moods. If symptoms persist, discuss problems with a doctor or therapist who could suggest other treatments or medications.

Rest assured that winter WILL come to an end and we will see the sun again! Until then, take care of yourselves and plan a fun winter!

In love with jokes, comprehensive sex ed and Stephen Colbert-- (Stephen, call me!) Kent State University Class of 2020, Current Freelance Journo Follow @MaSerra8 on Twitter and email mariaserra@hercampus.com for PR pitches!
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.