9 Foods to Eat While on Your Period

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Alright ladies, lets get real – periods suck! And you know what’s even worse? The seriously unhealthy foods we indulge in during PMS. But there’s no need to worry, we ALL forget to watch what we eat… especially when all we can think about is chocolate. Take the healthier route for craving-fueled periods with these 9 delicious, and healthy, food choices. It’s about time we put Mother Nature in her place!

Chocolate

MMMMM! The best one of all! Seems like chocolate might not be as bad as we thought. Dark chocolate actually helps to elevate your mood during this time of the month.

Nuts and seeds

Nuts, seeds, and soybeans help stabilize your blood sugar. Any walnuts, flax seeds, or chia seeds are a great source of omega-3 fatty acids, which help boost your mood.

Spinach

Eat it in a salad or sandwich to help boost your iron level. And if you really just can’t handle the taste of spinach, try lentils or chickpeas.

Berries

Blueberries and raspberries help offset any symptoms of low estrogen and make for a delicious snack.

Brown Rice

Feeling super bloated? Brown rice is the way to go! Plus, its complex carbs are sure to give you a boost of energy.

Fro-yo

Like chocolate, the calcium in your favorite frozen yogurt flavor helps with moodiness and bloating. Make sure to stop by Sweet Frog at least once during your period, you won’t regret it.

Peppermint

Mint is known for its muscle relaxing effects, so if you happen to experience killer cramps, make sure to sip on a nice cup of peppermint tea.

Bananas

With their rich source of potassium, bananas help combat loss of sleep and cramps.

Kale and Romaine

Do you suffer from bad acne during your period? Dark leafy veggies can help!

Help fight PMS beforehand by making sure that you are consuming enough Vitamin B. Remember to always start your day with a well-balanced breakfast and keep healthy snacks nearby so you can fight those unhealthy cravings. Snacking is a good thing ladies!

Resources: Seventeen and YouBeauty

Aleixka has a B.A. in Media Arts and Design and a minor in Spanish from James Madison University. She loves all things books, traveling, food, and photography.