ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

5 Easy Ways to Destress During the Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

Spring break may be coming up, but it truly feels like forever since we last had a significant amount of time to decompress and forget about school work. Living in a dorm can make it especially difficult to take time for yourself. Not only are you in a relatively small (and not always) private place, it is also easy to get bogged down by schoolwork and to forget to take time for yourself. Here are five simple and cheap ways to de-stress during the week. (Bonus if they are with friends!)

1. Face Masks

Face masks are relatively cheap and can make you feel extremely pampered within a short amount of time. Not only that, but they aren’t time consuming since you can work while the mask is drying on your face. Sheet masks are also a great option for people who may have a communal floor bathroom since they are easier to take on and off.  Even just taking the time to put a face mask on can make you feel so much better. I recommend these sheet masks as well as this stress-relieving aromatherapy mask.

2. DIY Manicures / Pedicures

Let’s face it, few college students can afford to go to a local nail salon and get pampered. However, this is just as easy to do in the dorm! Foot spas come in a range of prices; however, even just a sugar scrub and cute nail polish can make a world of a difference in relaxing you. My favorite sugar scrub comes in a variety of scents and shaped in cubes, so it is less messy and way easier to use.

3. Random Dance Party

There are few things that compare to putting on your favorite Spotify playlists and jumping around with friends. Random mini dance parties can help get your blood flowing again when you have been working in the same spot for hours.  It helps to get your mind off of homework for even just a few minutes. This playlist includes recent pop songs and remixes guaranteed to get your blood pumping.

4. Taking a Shower

This may sound obvious or necessary, but it’s easy to get caught up in work and forget about necessities such as showering. Nonetheless, there are few things that are as calming as a long, hot shower. Being able just to relax, breathe in the steam, and literally clean yourself helps you physically, but can also cleanse your mind. Understanding your thoughts for the day can really make a difference on your emotional wellbeing. So, allow yourself to spend a little extra time in the shower and don’t feel guilty if you rinse and repeat!

5. Reading a book

It may sound crazy to take time to do this in college, especially when so much other reading builds up, but reading a book you genuinely enjoy can really help clear your thoughts. Find reading that genuinely interests you, whether it’s a comic, a YA novel, or a magazine, and take time for yourself to read it. A few easy reads that I recommend include Dante and Aristotle, Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz, and The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd.

Julia is a biochemistry major on the pre-med track. She aspires to be an OB/GYN and is focused on writing blogs about women's health. When not writing, Julia is also a member of Koshare Dance Collective.