Meet Kianna Baptiste, Class of 2016!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Name: Kianna Baptiste

IG: Kiannastyles

Twitter: KiannaStyles_

Hometown: Brooklyn, New York

Class: Graduating senior class of 2016!

Major: Broadcast Journalism

Relationship Status: Single

If you had to describe yourself in three words what would they be?

Optimistic, passionate, and motivated.

Heels or gym shoes?

Heels. If I could wear heels everyday I would.

How would you describe your closet/wardrobe?

Moody. Some days I wake up wanting to be super chic, and other days I wake up wanting to be a girly tomboy.

If you could only shop at one store for the rest of your life what would it be?

TopShop.

Favorite lipstick brand?

Between MAC and Colourpop Ultra-Matte.

What is your favorite thing to do in your free time?

Creating vision boards for different aspects of my life, whether it be career goals or fashion related. Also, looking for new style inspirations on Instagram.

Drake made a reference to Howard women in his song Make Me Proud. “Sound so smart like you graduated college. Like you went to Yale but you probably went to Howard knowing you.” What do you think it means to be a Howard woman?

Definitely strong, independent, ambitious and always on point. When I say on point I mean within academics and looks. If a Howard woman is into makeup, her face should be beat for class. If she’s into fashion, she should always be seen in a popping outfit. On point in every aspect.

Are you involved in any activities or organizations on campus?

EPP, which is short for Endustry Power Players. We host events for different aspects of the entertainment industry including public relations, fashion, and film.

If you could pinpoint your favorite memory at Howard U what would it be?

Meeting Karen Civil and Charlamagne at an entertainment panel during homecoming.

Have you had any internship opportunities? If so describe them.

I’ve had multiple. I interned for SiriusXM, Epic Records, WHUR-FM, and I wrote for Sway’s Universe. My favorite was working for Epic Records in New York. I worked in the public relations department. I helped to manage what questions interviewers got to ask the celebrities, press clips, and daily office tasks. I met a lot of great people and made some lifelong network connections.

What is your ultimate career goal?

I hope to develop my own brand in which I can creatively show how the fashion and music world collide. I also hope to be an inspiration to younger girls by starting a mentorship program.

What advice would you give to any freshman broadcast journalism majors?

Don’t let anyone tell you that because you’re in the school of communications you can’t get a job. Start looking for internships now because the field is very competitive! Make sure you’re passionate about what you want to do even if you don’t have it all figured out yet. Stay focused.

Be on the look-out for Kianna’s blog that will be launching in March. The Howard Her Campus team wishes you the best of luck in your future endeavors!