HC Hofstra Presents “Find Your Passion” Freelance Panel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Do you love print, broadcast or digital media? Have you ever thought of freelancing as a part time of full time job? Are you close to graduating but still don’t have a ‘dream job’ or clear career path? If so, join Her Campus Hofstra and come “Find Your Passion”!

This Monday, we host the “Find Your Passion” Freelance Panel. Distinguished panelists from MTV, In Style magazine, Shape magazine and WBLS Radio will share their past freelance experiences and explain the perks and pitfalls of project based work.  

Jenny Hart graduated from Hofstra in May 2013 with a double major in Print Journalism and Global Studies, and a double minor in English and Religion. As an undergraduate, she had six internships at companies such as Hearst, Condé Nast, and NBCUniversal, all while maintaining part-time jobs and the occasional social life. Since graduating, Jenny has freelanced full-time at Cosmopolitan and The Knot, and is now working at Shape. She also spent the summer living in and traveling across Europe. Bring her a slice of key lime pie and she’ll share all her secrets. Follow her on Twitter if you don’t mind Foursquare check-ins and rants about the MTA: @jennyjhart

Kristen Maldonado is a freelance production assistant at MTV.com, working in the digital space on shows like ‘Catfish,’ ‘Girl Code,’ ‘Fantasy Factory,’ and more.  In her spare time, Kristen continues to pursue entertainment journalism.  She has experience in covering red carpet events and film festivals, like Tribeca Film Festival, and interviewing celebrities. Follow her on Twitter, @kristenmaldo

Déjà Vu is an On-Air Personality for 107.5 FM WBLS Radio, a  life coach & empowerment speaker. She has been trying and achieving goals in radio for years. The power of the microphone taught Deja that connecting with her audience was not just a byproduct of a cushy job, but a responsibility to inspire and motivate the people that listened to her daily program. She capitalized on this mission by launching her own teen non-profit organization called “The Flava Unit”, whose members give back to society by performing service projects. Follow Deja on Twitter, @DejaVuSpeaks

Grace Gavilanes juggled nine internships while in college, working at publications like, ParentsBridal Guide, and Glamour, among others. She was also involved on campus, serving as Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Hofstra and vice president of Ed2010’s Hofstra Chapter. She is currently the online editorial assistant at InStyle, where she writes, reports, and handles partnerships, as well as an editor at guesterly, the coolest wedding start-up, ever. Tweet her hello or your favorite NYC bakery/eatery @gracegavilanes!

These four ladies will dispense “real world tips” on interning, networking and freelancing as a way to find or make your own career path. Be sure to follow our panelists on Twitter and bring your business cards and questions for the networking sesh after the panel. 

EVENT BONUS: In a partnership with ASOS on Campus,  our #ASOSHofstra representatives will be on hand to give the first 15 people in the door a free gift so make sure you get there early!

Cosponsored by Hofstra University’s Association of Black JournalistsEd 2010 Hofstra and the Society of Professional Journalists, “Find Your Passion” starts at 7 pm in Plaza Room East on Monday April 7th.

For more information, email sidneymadden@hercampus.com and/or rachelcrocetti@hofstra.edu

A Boston girl living in New York, Sidney is a senior at Hofstra University double majoring in journalism and sociology. She's grown to love interviewing and feature writing after interning at  non-profits, Cosmopolitan Magazine, MTV News and the 2012 Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, NC. She is the Campus Correspondent of HC Hofstra as well as an active member in the Hofstra Association of Black Journalists, Ed2010 Hofstra and the Society of Collegiate Journalists. She loves dancing with her on-campus team, Imani Dance Ensemble, and has an incurable addiction to shoes, Boston sports teams and Japanese barbeque. Follow Sidney on Twitter, @Sid_Madden!