Everything You Need to Know About a Capsule Wardrobe (and why you need one)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

As the time for spring cleaning approaches, you may find yourself struggling to part with some of your old, beloved clothes. You can’t be blamed; why would you want to part with that cute sweetheart sundress you bought on clearance five years ago that you swear you will wear again? If you are struggling to rally the confidence to do some major closet renovation, look no further—the capsule closet is here to save you.

Coined in the 1970’s by Susie Fox, the capsule closet is designed to give women an efficient and stylish wardrobe that holds less inventory, but just as many fashionable options as a fuller closet. There are so many ways to begin a capsule closet, and there is no right way either. The beautiful part is that you can tailor it to suit your needs and lifestyle.

Photo Courtesy of Unsplash.com.

Of what does a capsule closet consist?

There is no set number of pieces you need to keep in your closet. However, many enthusiasts recommend keeping the number in the mid to upper thirties. This includes all clothing pieces such as bottoms, tops, dresses, jackets, shoes, and formal wear. Some people include accessories in this category, but if you do not want to part with the bling, keep your jewelry. It’s whatever works for you!

What the capsule closet does not limit is undergarments, swimsuits, bags and workout clothes. Again, this is totally adjustable to what suits your needs.

How do I start?

The first step to mustering the confidence to begin your capsule closet journey is to admit that your chaotic closet needs some attention. Once you do that, you can conquer the fashion jungle that awaits your exploration.

Next, take an inventory of your closet. Sort through all the pieces you cannot live without, the items that need to be tossed and things that can be donated. Then, take a break and go through your piles and encourage yourself to add more to the donation pile. By doing this, you are not only helping yourself unclutter, but you are allowing someone else who has less access to clothes get a taste of your rock star style.

Then, look at the pile of clothing you want to keep and analyze it for a few key pieces that you know are versatile and start building your wardrobe around those items. Are you unhappy with your current pickings? You can go out and invest in a high-quality wardrobe staple like a jacket or pair of pants that will set the tone of your downsized wardrobe.

Once you have your key pieces, look at the colors of your items and start creating a scheme that will work together. Having a wardrobe that entirely matches will make it easier to create outfits down the line.

Tip: Make sure you are being realistic about what you keep in your closet. Don’t keep 15 dresses because they are cute when you realistically will only wear one every few weeks. Keep space in your closet for items that you know you will need and wear with confidence.

Photo Courtesy of Unsplash.com.

How do I maintain my capsule closet?

Just because you have a smaller closet does not mean you cannot add items to it. Keep a storage box of clothing you can rotate in and out every few months. You can also buy pieces, but remember to only purchase items that work with your wardrobe! The ability to switch out clothing will give your wardrobe a consistently fresh look and will help you feel on your A-game around the clock.

Remind me why I should do this.

Capsule closets are the perfect answer for any fashionable coed like yourself. This strategy not only keeps your closet in tip-top shape, but it relaxes you because your wardrobe basically plans itself. Gone are the days of standing in front of a rack of clothes absolutely confused about what to wear. Capsule closets make decision-making light and quick so that you can devote your time to something else.

Capsule closets are a great way to control your spending as well. It is so easy to stroll into a store for one item and walk out with heaps of bags. The smaller closet means you have less room to add new items. So, only buy an item if you know it will be a fabulous long-term investment!

Plus, this system will keep you looking your best because you will only wear items that look best on you. There will be no wearing a shirt that does not make you smile when you put it on—you don’t have room for that! Plus, confidence is the best thing you can wear.

Photo Courtesy of Unsplash.com.

If you are feeling brave or ready for a change, try creating your own capsule closet! The goal is to try something new that can possibly work really well for your needs. The capsule closet lifestyle can be a breath of fresh air for a style goddess like yourself.

Sara is a senior journalism student at Hofstra University who aspires to one day be on the red carpet giving you the latest on all things celebrity. She is a current NBC intern and co-host of her campus' news show, Hofstra Today. She is also a proud member of Phi Sigma Sigma sorority and Zeta Phi Eta, the Pre-Professional Fraternity in the Arts and Sciences of Communications. In her free time, she loves going to the beach, traveling, attending live performances and making memories with her friends and dogs. Follow her on Instagram: @sara__whit and on Twitter: @Sara_Whitman. She also has a travel blog at www.sarawhitmanythoughts.wordpress.com