Body Mod Blog: All About Dermal Piercings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Possibly the latest and greatest piercing trend within the last ten years is known as the dermal piercing, which is known as single-point surface piercings. This basically means that instead of having an entrance and exit point like a regular piercing, a dermal is embedded into the skin, making it very different from other surface piercings. The popularity of a dermal piercing has grown rapidly over the past few years as a curiosity for body modification has increased among our mainstream culture and the technology of body piercing has evolved.  While more people than ever are getting dermal piercings and the technology is improving, it is still very important to catch up on facts and snag a few tips before getting your first dermal.

With all piercings (and tattoos), it is extremely important to research a piercing shop before you sit down to get a piercing. You want to make sure that you go to a reputable shop where the piercer uses the proper health precautions to perform the piercing and provides high quality jewelry for you to wear. The best ways to research a piercer is to go into their shop and view their portfolio, which is something that every artist should have. It is also a good idea to do some snooping on their website and social media pages, to get a feel of what you’re getting yourself into. This process is especially important with dermal piercings because they are at high risk for rejection, which means that you want to go to someone who knows their stuff so that you have a quick and painless healing process.

It is important to understand the process of a dermal piercing because it requires a different procedure than a piercing that you have seen or had done before. A dermal can be done by either a needle or more commonly a dermal punch, which removes a small piece of tissue in order for the base of the dermal to be inserted. And while a dermal punch may sound much scarier than using a needle, it is actually less painful and prevents the jewelry from being inserted too far.

Now perhaps the most fascinating aspect of a dermal piercing would have to be the jewelry itself, as it plays a strong factor in how this piercing is going to last over time. All dermal jewelry has what is called an anchor, named so because it is the piece that anchors the jewelry into the dermal layer of the skin. Anchors come in various sizes and there is debate within the body modification community as to which design is ideal for healing and wear over time. The most popular type of anchor for a dermal piercing is L-shaped, as it has been shown to last the longest over time. Yet as the dermal is still very new, other styles such as a t-shaped anchor and a dermal wheel can be worn instead. The jewelry that you choose to put in a dermal piercing most often depends on the piercer, where you are getting a dermal piercing, and of course what feels most comfortable and safe! 

Studying Abroad in Firenze, Italy. Current Vice President and Blog Mentor of Her Campus Hofstra. Contributing Writer and Intern at Inked Magazine. A writer of all things body modification, beards, veganism, and feminism related.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.