Brandon Wilks ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

Do you ever see that guy dancing his way through the Yard between classes and wonder how he pops it so functionally? He’s got funky-colored hair (is it dyed? Naturally sexy?). He’s big. He’s openhearted. And he’s smized his way right into being our next Her Campus Campus Cutie – ladies and gentlemen of Harvard, meet Brandon Wilks (if by chance you haven’t yet).

Who: Brandon Wilks

House: Eliot

Hometown: Ovido, Florida. Middle of nowhere, kinda lovely.

Concentration: Sociology, secondary in Psych

Favorite HUDS meal:

Shit. **sits back in wonder; our questions got hard-hitting, fast**

There’s this one day where the do, uh, Chinese food  . . . wow . . . last year they used to have this really dope lo mein with like steak, like fettuccini-kinda-thing. I don’t know what it was called but it was awesome.

What are you involved in on campus?

Black Men’s Forum and co-director of the mentoring program David Walker Scholars.

Ooo what’s that?

David Walker was an abolitionist who believed black people should help other black people, so the program is black and Latino males at Harvard giving mentoring skills to 7th-8th grade black boys. Been doing it since freshman year.

I also intern at the Ed school – I literally hand out candy and take phone calls. I love it. Oh, and I do Harvard Breakers [Author’s Note: he’s amazing!!], which is Street Dance choreo.

What is your favorite Harvard memory thus far?

My first dance show I ever choreographed for, that my parents went to. It was at Apollo Night, and my parents got to see me dance for the first time, which was pretty dope. Probably my best moment here.

What do you look for in a significant other?

Oh! Um, genuineness, in general I guess. Someone can be kind, passionate, and interesting, but someone who is genuinely those things is different. Also, trustworthy. Genuineness and honesty. Those are the two top ones.

What is your best physical trait?

My eyes, I’ve heard. People say I have interesting eyes, I don’t know why. I’m pretty sure cause it’s like they’re really dark brown, almost black.

. . . Or my big black arms ;) . . .

Who do you consider to be your celebrity look alike?

Notorious BIG. There’s actually a picture I have where I’m wearing a shirt with him on it and we look like twins. I just need a crown.

Who’s your celebrity crush?

I’m not really a big celebrity guy. I like artists, music artists. My recent crush is maybe Jhene Aiko or Janelle Monae.

Describe your ideal Date.

My ideal date has many dimensions. I would love to do a picnic where she and I cook a bunch of stuff together, and we go out under the stars on a really clear night and the two of us sit under the stars and listen to music and eat. Just generally a casual, low-key thing. I’m not really into big fancy events.

Favorite song:  

Right Now, “White Shoes” by Wale.

Favorite movie:

Great Gatsby, the new one. Currently.

Surprising fact about you:

I don’t think I’m really surprising. I’m a pretty open book to know. I like writing poetry and stuff. Is that surprising?

What’s on your Harvard bucket list?

I want to kayak down the river. I want to record a song with something in the SOCH music studio. I want to spend a romantic night on top of the Science Center.  

At any given moment, where you are most likely to be found on campus?

Dancing EVERWHERE. On the streets, waiting on the shuttle, in class, walking to class, in my room. Just constantly dancing. With headphones on, usually.

Would you rather fight a horse-sized duck or a hundred duck-sized horses?

Almost instant answer: Duck sized horse. I’m gonna call it Huck Fin [duck and horse]. Or Duckleberry Fin. 

harvard contributor