This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Meet Sydney, founder of Be You! 413 Inc. and president of Be You! GSU. You may have seen her training students in ‘the Rec’ or hosting fitness bootcamps around campus with Be You! GSU.  To know her is to love her, Meet Sydney! 

Name: Sydney Combs

Year: Junior 

Major: Journalism and Marketing Minor 

Hometown: Decatur, GA 

Hobbies/Interest: working out, eating at new restaurants (I am a foodie), writing, traveling and attending concerts, festivals, or events around the city

Instagram: syddonamission

Her Campus: Why did you choose GSU?

Sydney Combs: GSU was the first campus I ever toured but I never knew I would end up here. However, I am happy I attend GSU because it is where I found out who I am and who I want to be. I love the diversity of the school and being located in Atlanta allows me to pursue the goals I have set for myself. 

HC: What are you currently involved in on campus?

SC: Currently, I am the President of Be You! GSU and an honors college student. Previously, I was a Resident Assistant, Honors College Student Ambassador and SGA Senator for the College of Arts and Sciences.

HC: What is Be You! 413?

SC: Be You! 413 is a college health and fitness community that encourages students to be their best by building a stronger mind, body and spirit. Our goal is to introduce students to a holistic approach to health that allows them to become their best.

HC: What motivated you to start Be You! 413?

SC: I started Be You! 413 in June 2014 after I lost my mom to breast cancer. I dedicated the entire summer to developing spiritually, mentally and physically. I wanted to give students the opportunity to better themselves and join a community that would encourage them to reach their goals. 

HC: What is your vision for Be You! 413 in the next five years?

SC: I see Be You! 413 at every college campus across the United States and even internationally.

HC: Recently, I’ve been following you vegan journey on Instagram. How is that going? What prompted you to make that transition?

SC: Becoming Vegan was on my college bucket list and I am so happy I was able to do it. Being a vegan can be difficult and takes preparation and knowledge to stick with it. Currently, I am no longer “vegan” because I have incorporated fish and chicken back into my diet since I am preparing for a fitness competition. However, because I was vegan I no longer consume dairy products.

HC: Any advice for people looking to a make a full health lifestyle change, like you have?

SC: I would suggest to start off small and to stop using the word “diet”. Many people want to become healthy or look good physically for an event or spring break trip and relapse right after it is finished. However, by taking baby steps and educating yourself it allows you to adopt a healthy lifestyle instead of a temporary diet. 

HC: What makes you, you?

SC: Being strong in my faith and knowing who I am which is a passionate, focused, driven woman.

HC: What quote do you live by?

SC: I have two that I live by

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” Philippians 4:13

“Be yourself, everyone else is already taken”- Oscar Wilde

HC: After graduation, what can we expect to see from Sydney Combs?

SC: After graduation, I will have opened my gym, 413 Studios and launch my athletic apparel line. I also will have finished three novels and opened my production studio Truth Productions.

K. Miche' Thomas is a double major Marketing and Managerial Sciences student at Georgia State University. Upon her anticipated graduation in 2018 she plans to attend law school to pursue her dreams of becoming a Trademark & Patent Attorney. In her extra time she enjoys planning event and spending precious time with friends and family.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus