This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Traveling this summer?  Whether it’s by plane, train, or automobile there is always the chance that groggy, cabin air can hinder how good you feel upon your arrival at your destination.  Which is why, there are a few items and tips I have to ensure you feel relaxed, refreshed, and ready to start your vacation or trip off on the right footing. 

Bring a sizable bag.  Every time I go anywhere that will require a plane ride or long car journey—I make sure the hand luggage I sport is big, supportive, and easy to maneuver as there are many things a girl needs during her transition from A to B.

Bring face wipes, moisturizer, and facial spritz.  There is nothing worse than having left-over make-up on after a red-eye flight or 10 hour train/car ride.  For the most part there is a sufficient lack of fresh oxygen that reaches your skin while traveling which can cause zits and olliness once you’ve reached your destination.  That’s why it’s good to have a fresh-smelling face wipe, a light moisturizer, and an airy facial spritz to spruce up while in transit.  You’ll feel much better and much cleaner after jumping out of that muggy cabin air—and the best part is you can achieve this process right from your seat. 

Bring a heavy chap stick.  My lips are chap easily—especially in the cold winter months.  However, another time they dry up quickly is when I am traveling.  Once again, the air quality is usually terrible and between eating and drinking and fading in and out of sleep and licking your lips—cracking is bound to occur.  For me personally, this is one of the most annoying/irritating feelings, so I never fail to slip a little Burts Bees into my handbag and off I go.

Pack a neck pillow or support.  This is especially important in the case of flights.  There is a significant lack of space and little room to rest your head which is why; albeit I used to think they looked ridiculous, a soft and cushiony neck pillow from Brookstone or Target can aid a few hours of shut eye on the flight, train, or car journey guaranteeing a less miserable feeling once you’ve arrived.

Pack comfy pants.  A tight pant on a long trip is the worst.  It is restrictive and can cut into your lower stomach when positioned upright.  No matter where I’m going or how long I am traveling for—I always stuff my favorite sweats in my carry on or bag so I can comfortably remain in the same position for the duration of my travels.  It’s simply a must because the girls who choose to wear high heels while traveling just look silly.

Bring a refillable waterbottle.  Unless the food is prepaid on your airfare or train ticket, I always recommend bringing your own snacks and liquids.  You will save money, eat when absolutely necessary, and feel better once you arrive.  Especially when you are up in the sky and the cabin air is positively draining, a good, hefty water bottle is perfect because you remain hydrated and financially sound while moving from place to place.  All of which will support a better feeling once you arrive at your location.

George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com