Local Band HyeTension On the Rise

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

HyeTension took the stage at Jammin’ Java earlier this year in front of hundreds of fans, who sang along to crowd favorites like “Mod Girlz.”  The alternative rock band–who opened for former tween hearthrob Aaron Carter in January–have a unique sound and energy that is reminiscent of bands like Radiohead, Muse, and Nirvana. 

HyeTension features Chris Kasbarian on lead vocals, Sam Khalaji on drums, Carter Auch on lead guitar, and Ryan Sheehan on bass guitar.  Although Kasbarian and Auch started the band in middle school, their current lineup has been together for two years playing venues in Richmond, NOVA, and DC where they’re making a bit of a name for themselves. Locals flock to their shows for live performances of original songs like “Glass Elevator,” and “New Regent,” which feature influences from Armenian music. 

Left to Right: Chris Kasbarian, Carter Auch, Sam Khalaji, Ryan Sheehan 

Each of the members of HyeTension became interested in music at a young age.  Khalaji says that when his sister recieved a drumset one year for Christmas, he was the one that became interested in it.  His many years of experience with the drums are apparent the moment he takes the stage, as his passion for rythm diffuses into the audience. Kasbarian is following in the footsteps of his father, Zareh Kasbarian, who is a famous Armenian singer, while Sheehan says he was inspired by his brother’s Blink 182 cover band. Both Kasbarian and Sheehan are clearly skilled in their respective crafts, hy(e)ping their crowds with smooth vocals and an energy that is absolutely electric.  

The band also discussed the songwriting process, describing it as something that comes naturally to them and dubbing lead singer Chris Kasbarian as the “melody maker.” “For us, the music always comes first, then the lyrics come later, sometimes a few minutes before we go on.  Just kidding…but yeah, for us it’s all about the music,” says Auch.  

HyeTension performing live at Epicure Cafe on February 20th, 2016

The band says bassist Ryan Sheehan is definitely the biggest troublemaker of the group, but all in good fun.  Khalaji, who met Auch in their freshman dorm at Virginia Commonwealth University in 2012, says that all of the members of HyeTension are very close, and are always messing around with each other. 

“We’re best friends,” he describes.  “We’re together all the time whether we’re just having some drinks or jamming in Chris’s basement.” 

Sheehan adds that as with any band or group of friends, they’ll argue from time to time, but whether it be about setlists or something greater, they never stop caring about each other or the group.

“Honestly it’s like doing stuff with your brothers.  We argue about stupid stuff but at the end of the day we all love each other,” says Sheehan, and the rest of the band nods and smiles in agreement.  

Left to Right: Carter Auch, Sam Khalaji, Ryan Sheehan, Chris Kasbarian 

HyeTension’s newest album, Virtual Ritual, will be released worldwide Monday, February 29th.  The album features 10 original tracks and will be available for purchase on Itunes, Spotify, and at some retail locations.  I had an early listen to some tracks from Virtual Ritual, and can safely say it’s definitely worth checking out!

HyeTension’s “New Regent” Music Video 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NAeFT2wRexE 

Upcoming Shows:

March 26th @ The National (RVA)

April 8th @ The Commune (DC)

April 15th @ Our House (RVA)

June 24@ The Auld Shebeen (Fairfax)

HCXO 

*all photos courtesy of Chris Kasbarian, gif via http://perezhilton.com/2015-03-06-aaron-carter-hilary-duff-feud-exes-twitter

Holly Rhue

George Mason University

Holly was previously the Branded Content Editor at Her Campus Media, working on the national edit team to create engaging native editorial and social content for brands that HerCampus.com readers love! Her Beauty & Travel writing has been featured on Cosmopolitan.com, MarieClaire.com, and ELLE.com, where she was previously the digital publication's Editorial Fellow and Weekend Editor right out of college. Once upon a time, she led her own Her Campus chapter at George Mason University (go Patriots!).
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com