HC Interviews Bridgit Mendler

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Ready or not, here she comes! Bridgit Mendler, the nineteen-year-old star of Disney’s Good Luck Charlie and original movie Lemonade Mouth, and Hollywood Record’s newly minted pop sensation, is as polite and charming as her star character, Teddy Duncan. Mendler, a Washington D.C. native, moved to Northern California with her family at age eleven. She landed an agent at thirteen and has been a working actress since. She appeared in television commercials and shows like Jonas and General Hospital before solidifying her role as a Disney darling. Mendler’s debut album, Hello My Name Is..” was released in October 2012, and her smash hit, Ready or Not, is now available on iTunes. HC George Mason had a chance to chat with the budding singer/actress and incoming college freshman about style, music, and her post-university plans.

TM: Did you find the transition from D.C. to California difficult at such a young age?

BM: We moved because of my mom’s work and my parents fell in love with Northern California. I had no idea I wanted to be an actress at first, but I was young, it was rough at first.

TM: How would you describe your personal style?

BM: A little tomboy-ish, but I like to keep it eclectic and fresh. For work, sharp and professional is key.

TM: Who are your musical and acting influences?

BM: I admire Christian Bale. I could not live my life as committed to the craft as he does, with body transformations and such, he goes to such extremes but he is very admirable. I love Rachel McAdams. She plays a variety of roles, she has a lot of charisma, and she doesn’t try to live her life in the public eye. Also, I love Natalie Portman. My musical influences include Bob Dylan and Etta James, Florence and the Machine, and Adele, and many others.

TM: Who is your current favorite artist?

BM: Lianne La Havas. I recently worked with her and she is amazing!

TM: Are you planning on attending college and if so what do you plan to study?

BM: I am going to University of Southern California this spring. I would love to study something like Art History, or something in the realm of the Liberal Arts.

TM: Favorite Disney show growing up?

BM: That’s So Raven was my jam!

TM: If you weren’t an actress or singer what would you love to do?

BM: I would love to be a chef. Or something involving a restaurant.

TM: East or West Coast?

BM: Part of me wants to settle on the East coast but right now L.A. is home.

TM: Where do you see yourself in five years?

BM: I would love to do action movies! But I would love to do more music and put out albums that have a strong message and that I am really proud of. Also, to have finished my college career.

You can find Bridgit’s latest work on her Facebook page and on Twitter: @bridgitmendler!

Tess Mackey

George Mason University

Tess is a senior at George Mason University majoring in Communication with a concentration in Public Relations.  She has been addicted to fashion since she was a child frequenting the streets of New York City with her mom, and collecting copies of her favorite magazines Instyle andVanity Fair.  Along with HerCampus, she is a style guru for CollegeFashionista.com, and she is beginning an internship this summer in journalism.  When she is not writing, she spends her time working at a local high-end local boutique and consignment shopping with friends.