Great Women Go Greek

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Stereotypes about sorority girls:

1. They are dumb.
2. They are blonde.
3. They binge drink.
4. They dress inappropriately at parties.
5. They party too much.

The stereotypes of sorority girls have been around for years. People talk and pass on rumors from one school to the next, and create an image of Greek life that most people deem to be true. For some reason people find it easier to criticize Greek life rather then trying to understand what it is truly about. According to Parents & Colleges, “76 percent of our nation’s senators, 89 percent of U.S. Supreme Court justices, 85 percent of Fortune 500 executives and all but three U.S. presidents have been Greeks.” Sorority girls are actually sorority women who all join organizations that have values and practices that they believe in and will help them flourish.

Three sorority women have made it. Well, on their way to making it at least. All connected and tied as friends and as sisters. All Communications majors, Emily Montgomery, Mikala Davis, and Stephanie Alonso are George Mason University alumni and Chi Omega alumni. They are recent graduates from 2011 and have landed jobs in various careers.

Emily Montgomery is from Fairfax, Virginia and has been dancing since before she could walk. Taking that skill with her growing up, Emily was on the dance team at George Mason University and competed in numerous national competitions. Most recently, she was able to fufill her lifelong dream and was chosen to be a dancer for the Washington Wizards. Emily is currently working at Hilton Worldwide as the Brand Performance Coordinator at their Global Headquarters in McClean, Virginia.

Fashionista Mikala Davis is from Fairfax, Virginia and is currently working as a News Desk Assistant at MSNBC in Washington, DC. Growing up Mikala has had a passion for fashion and has interned the past two years at Fashion Week in New York City and assisted backstage the Skaist Taylor Show and Diesel Black Gold. Mikala says that, “one of the best parts about my current job is helping make b roll for news segments.” She claims “ I’ve been a hand model three times so you might have spotted my hands on NBC.” Mikala hopes to move to New York City and wants to get a job in PR/Media or work in the fashion industry.

Political guru Stephanie Alonso is from Haworth, New Jersey and specialized in persuasion and political communication. She had multiple internships in politics and said she “knew she had a passion for the way polititians build their media message.” Stephanie is currently working for Senator Menendez in New Jersey as the Community Affairs Coordinator. She writes briefing memos, press releases, and helps with events making sure the Senator is completely prepared at all events. Recently attending the DNC in Charlotte, North Carolina, Stephanie said the Senator was interviewed on “a range of topics such as his response to President Clinton’s speech, the need for the youth vote, the power of latinos during the 2012 elections, and ways to get the community involved.”

You might ask what the importance is of their stories. These three young women are not only on their way to fulfilling their dreams, but are also a part of the biggest women’s organization in the nation, Chi Omega Fraternity. Chi Omega consists of women all around the country who are well balanced and involved on their campuses and in their communities. It consists of six purposes that guide each chapter and every member strives to live by them. They are friendship, high standards of personnel, scholarship, community service, campus activities, and career development. Emily, Mikala, and Stephanie all held leadership roles during their time as collegiate members of the Chi Kappa chapter of Chi Omega at George Mason University, ranging from director of community service, to social chair, to campus activities.

George Mason University consists of six Panhellenic sororities on campus: Alpha Omicron Pi, Alpha Phi, Alpha Xi Delta, Chi Omega, Gamma Phi Beta, and Zeta Tau Alpha. When talking to her about her experience, Emily stated, “Greek life is a phenomenal way for talented & intelligent women to build relationships, network, practice job/life skills, be a part of something bigger than themselves, and a way to give back to the community.” The passion that these women have for their various careers started from a young age and slowly developed into something much more. The underlying values and beliefs of Chi Omega, the support of the Greek system, and the connections they made during their time in the chapter were what made them able to be where they are today. These women have crushed those typical sorority girl stereotypes and can proudly say that Great Women Go Greek.

Tess Mackey

George Mason University

Tess is a senior at George Mason University majoring in Communication with a concentration in Public Relations.  She has been addicted to fashion since she was a child frequenting the streets of New York City with her mom, and collecting copies of her favorite magazines Instyle andVanity Fair.  Along with HerCampus, she is a style guru for CollegeFashionista.com, and she is beginning an internship this summer in journalism.  When she is not writing, she spends her time working at a local high-end local boutique and consignment shopping with friends.