Getting Summer Ready with #EatClean

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

We’ve all seen the hashtag on Instagram, usually under a photo of a protein smoothie (“morning smoothie! starting my day off right! #EatClean) or a vibrant salad filled with baby spinach leaves, slices of avocados and feta cheese (“lunch time #EatClean) – but what is the hype all about? Weren’t these meals that were always eaten? So why the sudden buzz?

Fortunately, for this summer’s online photo trend, you won’t need to stack up bracelets or buy a Michael Kors watch nor will you have to take photos looking down at your shoes or maybe even a hybrid of the two with your wrist in front and shoes in the backdrop (people can get very creative). This summer, you’ll need to two things: an appetite and a camera.

With summer creeping up on us, we’re all trying to shed a few pounds to get bikini ready (remember those photos you took while laying out in the sun, holding the camera by your chin, trying to get your entire body in one frame?) And if there’s a trend out there that’ll help us lose pounds but gain ‘likes’, why not try it?

Clean eating (or “eat clean”) isn’t a new diet fad or a workout regimen, it’s a lifestyle. A lifestyle that promotes healthy eating by adding more salads, fruits, veggies and other beneficial foods to your regular diet. A few years ago, fitness and diet guru Tosca Renu came out with a book called The Eat Clean Diet which has had several celebrities like Halle Berry and Angelina Jolie flipping its pages.

Although I didn’t know about Renu’s book, I began eating clean after realizing how appetizing those foods on Instagram looked. From salads to smoothies, I’ve changed my diet habits entirely and I can honestly say, I’ve seen results. It’s pretty easy. Although I didn’t follow Renu’s plan religiously (nothing which has pesticides, chemical fertilizers, antibiotics, hormones, artificial ingredients or is refined and processed, etc.), I followed common sense and logic. Here are a few tricks I used:

Absolutely no sodas: We’ve always heard this and never really followed it. Well, now is time you stop. After a few times of saying “I’ll have a water, please” you get used to it and suddenly drinking soda can make you feel as if you’ve just chugged down an ice cold glass of syrup, raw sugar and food coloring.  

No juices either: Yes, that’s right. Some of our favorite juices include tons of sugar that we really don’t need. While they help us get our vitamins, they’re also giving us excess sugars that we can get through eating healthy foods like fruits and veggies. Try opting for a smoothie. My personal favorites are smoothies from Naked – they’re delicious and super healthy without all the unnecessary sugars and syrups.

No fast food: I shouldn’t even need to say this but even I have become victim to the lure of Chick-fil-A while on my way to class. Sure, a small fries wouldn’t kill anyone but why not just get a salad from Sprouts, the new salad shop in JC? You get to make your own salad for about the same it’ll cost for fries and nuggets from Chick-fil-A.

No eating before bed: It takes time for our bodies to digest the foods we eat. When we climb into to bed, so does our digestive system. So that last Girl Scout’s cookie you had right before getting in bed isn’t going anywhere. With that being said, stop eating 2-3 hours before your bedtime. There’ve been several nights when I’ve gone to bed on an empty stomach but that only gave me a reason to have a healthy, hearty breakfast when I woke up.

Work out: I hate the gym. I hate the smell of the gym. I hate the locker rooms and I hate seeing women sit naked on the benches while discussing skin creams with their friends. But in order to get the most out of this new lifestyle, you’re gonna have to get a workout in at least 2-3 times a week (cardio if you’re looking to lose weight and weight if you’re looking to get toned). It’ll make you feel lighter and you’ll see a difference when you look in the mirror within a matter of a few weeks.

Make overall better food choices: The most important part of eating clean is ensuring you’re healthy and happy. There’s no diet you need to follow nor do you need to change everything about what you eat. It’s simply about making smarter choices; if you’re studying and get hungry, skip the cookies or potato chips and opt for fruit, cheese with crackers or a handful of almonds (almonds are good for studying, too!) Skip your morning coffee and have a cup of tea. When you go to the grocery store, keep an eye out for “sugar-free” or “all-natural” labels on bags. Take a minute to read the nutrition facts and find out what you’re putting into your body. It’s your body, you live in it, so shouldn’t it be clean and healthy?

Also, remember you’re human. Who wouldn’t give in to the smell of fries or the sweet chocolately goodness of a warm brownie? Have a cheat day and let yourself indulge in 1-2 things you wouldn’t consider healthy. The key is to watch how much you eat and not eat all the calories you just spent a week trying to lose. Be smart in your choices and know what’s right for your body. With the right choices, you’ll for summer in no time!

Happy Eating!

Photo: my Instagram 

George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com