This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

The semester is slowly coming to an end, as we begin counting down the final weeks before winter break. Between preparing for finals and dealing with day-to-day activities, some of us may begin lagging behind a bit when it comes to news and headlines. Luckily, us Her Campus gals can stay on top our work and our news by reading this week’s current events:

Entertainment:

It’s a bittersweet moment for Twilight fanatics: the latest and final movie of the saga comes out this weekend, marking the end of one of the most popular film series of our time. Hearts break of many Twi-hards as they say goodbye to the Cullens, Jacob, Bella and their new half-vamp, half-human baby, Renesmee. Setting off box office charts is Skyfall, the latest installment in the James Bond series starring Daniel Craig, which has already racked up millions. Steven Spielberg’s much talked about film, “Lincoln,” was just released and has already stirred up Oscar buzz. Another top box office seller is Flight starring Denzel Washington and Anna Karenina set to be released this weekend. Basically, if you’re planning on going to the movies this weekend, you’ll have plenty of great films to choose from. Happy watching!

National:

With the presidential election finally over, all eyes are on General Petraeus as he resigned from his position as CIA director after he admitted to participating in an extramarital affair last week. The affair between Petraeus and his biographer, Paula Broadwell, came to light during an FBI investigation of Broadwell, after she sent harassing e-mails to a Jill Kelley, a close family friend to the Petraeus family. It was during this investigation that the affair was revealed and has been under constant speculation from various members and leaders in Washington questioning whether or not this affair had anything to do with national security and possibly even the September Benghazi attacks on the U.S. consulate in Libya.

Buzz for potential presidential candidates for 2016 from both the Democratic and Republican Party, have begun spinning around. From the Democratic Party, a few of the top contenders include Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Vice President Joe Biden. Although neither have officially announced their interest in running (probably since we’re still feeling the aftershocks of this year’s presidential election), spectators predict they will be among other names expected to run including Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick, Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer, former New York Gov. Mario Cuomo and Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley.

Source: Yahoo Movies, CNN.com

Photo Source: Summit Entertainment

George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com