All Around Gal: Taren Henry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Taren Henry is the full package. Henry is the lead PR Director for George Mason’s Office of Student Involvement, a hard working and dedicated student, a true fashionista and an overall really great person. I had the pleasure of meeting Taren in one of my Communication classes this Fall and instantly I was drawn to her outgoing personality and dedication to both work and school, and in return I knew she would make the ideal campus celebrity.

What is your major:
Communication with a concentration in Public Relations.

What is your dream job?
My dream job would be to work for either BET or MTV. I would want to work in the promotions or programming department and help advertise or plan their big award shows and any other programing! I am currently working for Program Board within the Office of Student Involvement as their Lead Public Relations Director and I have been able to have a little taste of what promoting and planning for a large scale audience would be like. I actually just worked my first concert, the wale concert, and I found being back stage and seeing how everything works really exciting! So I am definitely going to keep my fingers crossed and keep working towards getting experience that will hopefully make me more marketable and qualified to fulfill my dream!

What is something not many people know about you?
Not very many people know that I absolutely love to craft and DIY. I actually make and customize a variety of different items. I customize things like shoes, shorts, shirts, pants and make things like jewelry, head bands, scarfs and bowties. Currently I am selling my items through word of mouth and my social networks, but I am thinking about creating a website to sell my items or creating a Etsy account. So stay tuned!!

Where would you like to be in five years?
I don’t know how realistic this would be but ideally I would like to be either in DC working for BET or New York working for MTV in five years. At the very least I would like to be living in a city working for a company or public relations agency doing public relations and programming of some sort.

Tess Mackey

George Mason University

Tess is a senior at George Mason University majoring in Communication with a concentration in Public Relations.  She has been addicted to fashion since she was a child frequenting the streets of New York City with her mom, and collecting copies of her favorite magazines Instyle andVanity Fair.  Along with HerCampus, she is a style guru for CollegeFashionista.com, and she is beginning an internship this summer in journalism.  When she is not writing, she spends her time working at a local high-end local boutique and consignment shopping with friends.