5 Ways to Avoid Getting Sick During Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

The last thing you need the day before your chemistry final is the common cold or any other illness that’s bestowed upon us in winter months. It happens every year, one day you feel like your throat is a bit sore, and the next morning you wake up sounding like your Great-Uncle Earl who smoked two packs of cigarettes everyday for thirty years (and feeling like him too). 

This holiday season, let’s focus more on the Black Friday sales, beautiful green-and-gold Kate Spade clutches and GPA’s higher than Kid Cudi was in his ‘Man on the Moon’ album, and less on the sniffles and unfortunate quarantine procedures.

So here are 5 tips on how to avoid getting sick and prevent others from getting sick too.

1. Sneeze into your shoulder.

Not onto your roommate, or that unfortunate person sitting next to you in econ.

2. Bring Clorox or Lysol wipes with you to campus and wipe down the surface of wherever you eat on.

What if you look like a major germaphobe? Just remember that thousands of people go to GMU and if it saves you from getting sick and spending the day at your doctor’s office it’s worth it. Simple, smart and easy.  

3. Wash your hands whenever you get a chance.

Or keep a little stash of hand sanitizer in your bag and use it. They even make fun holiday scents at Bath & Body Works to keep you looking festive.

4. If you are feeling sick or have a fever, do not go to class.

As a health major, I have an obligation to inform you that there are individuals walking around campus with shotty immune systems, and by even exposing them to the cold or flu, they can get severely ill. Not to mention, you need to rest, too! Your professor will understand, and you can get the notes later.

5. If you do fall victim to one of the various pathogens of the winter months, remember to be careful when taking multiple medications.

You may take two different kinds of cold medicines, but those medicines will often have the same or similar ingredients, and could potentially overdose. Some medicines also shouldn’t be combined. So call the student cealth center if you have concerns. 

With all that being said, Her Campus sends you the best wishes in trying to stay healthy this holiday (and finals, ugh) season!

George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com