jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Things You Need to Do in D.C. this Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

1. Opening of Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture (September 24)

Photo credit: Washington DC

This beautiful building is the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture, and construction is finally complete and it is now open to the public. On opening weekend there was a three-day festival with various performers. The museum focuses on the history, community, and culture of African Americans in the United States and how it has evolved and changed over the years. You can get tickets on the Smithsonian National Musem of African American History and Culture website.

2. DC Beer Week (September 24 – October 1)

Photo credit: DC Beer Week

If you’re 21 or older and you enjoy beer then this is the week for you. DC beer week features various events in celebration of local craft beers. DC beer week has multiple events including beer tastings along with live music and showcases of different beer types. You can find a full list of events on the DC Beer Week website.

3. NOVA Pride Festival (October 1)

Photo credit: NOVA Pride

NOVA is having its pride festival on October 1. If you’ve never been to a pride festival now’s your chance. They’re having free shuttles pick people up from the Vienna metro station (which you can get to by taking the Mason shuttle). With free transportation and a day of fun planned with activities and food why would you not go? It’s open to everyone and their families, including your pet pooch. You can find more information on the NOVA Pride website.

4. Autumn Conservation Festival (October 1 – October 2)

Photo credit: National Zoo

For the two days that the Autumn Conservation Festival is open is the only time of year that the Smithsonian Biology Institute is open to the public. The festival offers a chance for members of the public to view endangered species and ask staff questions about the animals and how they are being saved, get a tour of the campus, and find out more about the programs they have. Find out more about the festival on the National Zoo website.

5. Romeo and Juliet (September 13 – November 6)

Photo credit: Shakespeare Theatre

One of the most famous love stories of all time, Romeo and Juliet is a timeless classic. The Shakespeare Theatre Company are putting on the play from now until November 6 at Lansburgh Theater. You can buy tickets by going online or by calling 202-547-1122

Kaelyn Cook

George Mason University

I'm a vegetarian, a globetrotter and a very passionate bookworm. I like listening to rock music, baking, and dyeing my hair crazy colors. I've begun collecting tattoos and stories and before I die I want to kiss in the rain. I love to dance (very badly, I might add), sing in the shower and stare at the stars. I live in my own little world and sometimes I get lost there. It's a good place to be.
Kayla Hanigan

George Mason University

Currently a Senior majoring in Elementary Education with a minor in Mild Disabilities. A member of Alpha Phi sorority, Serengetee Campus Rep and a part of Leadership and Community Engagement LLC. Most likely found obsessing over Goats