This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Fall semester is almost coming to a close, and you know what that means? WINTER BREAK IS AROUND THE CORNER. For many people like myself, the holiday break gives me the opportunity to relax and do absolutely nothing. However, I do often find myself bored and being just plain lazy. So for this break, I’ve come up with five productive things to do while I have the spare time to get things done that actually matter.

1. Schedule a doctor’s appointment

Via Pixabay

I know for most students like me, our academic and work schedules throughout the semester make it hectic for us to schedule important appointments that we think are okay to put off. While you have time over break, make an appointment with your healthcare provider to see if you are up-to-date with your immunizations and to receive your yearly check-up! Your health always comes first and your doctor will be more than glad you came in to visit.

2. Pre-spring clean your room or house

Via Pixabay

Once spring semester gets rolling, you will have zero time to organize and tidy up your space as clean as you would like. Take this time to start getting things in order, like separating your summer and winter clothes. Also, you may find that you have some old clothes that you would like to get rid of. Donate them to a local clothes bin or Goodwill.

3. Get your finances in order

Via Pixabay

This one is so important to me. The new year is coming. Start it off right financially. Save that holiday money you received by opening up a savings account. Pay off your school balance before the semester officially begins so that you can dodge any holds or late fees from the student account office. Anything to avoid being a broke college student in 2018 is worth it.

Related: How to Save Money Over the Summer for Upcoming Semesters

4. Volunteer

Via Pixabay

Now I know most people take this time to work a seasonal job, but you can also give back to your community by volunteering at your local food bank or toy drive. The holidays are the perfect time to put a smile on someone’s face who may not be as fortunate as you.

5. Apply for summer internships

Via Pixabay

Most applications for internships come out in late fall, so take this time to fill out your applications while you can. This way, you won’t have to wait until the last minute to submit. You can also perfect your application by closely looking over all the information you put down since you’re not rushing.

I know that being productive may sound like a drag after an intense semester of work, but this is the perfect time to get these things out the way. You will be so proud of yourself in the end. Good luck collegiettes, and enjoy your winter break too!

Bri Hayes

George Mason University '20

Brianna "Bri" Hayes is a Community Health, pre-nursing student from Richmond, Virginia studying at George Mason University with a strong passion for editorial and journalistic writing. Brianna spent her whole high school career studying communications and media relations under a broad spectrum, including experience in journalism, public relations and marketing, videography, film and production, graphic design, and photography. At Mason, she’s the president of the National Pan-Hellenic Council and a member of various organizations including the Omicron Iota Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Patriot Activities Council, the Akoma Circle Mentoring Group, and Student Involvement. In her spare time, Brianna likes to read and explore new places and things. After graduation, she hopes to fulfill a career in nursing and public health.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com