emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Cheap DIY Holiday Gift Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

The holidays are quickly approaching and as a broke college student, your bank account may not be building as fast. Pinterest is your complete guide this holiday season to make miracles happen for any collegiette on your Secret Santa list. Here are five of the top DIY gift ideas this year that will satisfy your pockets and friends.

1. Homemade Bath Bombs

Need to de-stress after finals week? DIYProjects.com helps you create the ultimate bath bombs that will make bath time more exciting, yet calming. All you need is Epsom salt, baking soda, citric acid, water, natural oils, food coloring and shape molders.

2. Spa Trio Kit (DIY body scrub, body butter and foot soak)

Binge watch holiday movies and feel better after the semester is over with this spa trio kit. Popsugar.com gives you the recipes to create three of your own in home spa essentials that will keep you away from the temptation of paying for a costly spa day treatment. Just add your own scent and color theme to it.

3. Marbled Coffee Mugs

Coffee mugs always come in handy for those cold wintry months when you’re snowed in with nothing to do. DIYCandy.com shows you how to create a marble inspired mug with only water, nail polish, and foil pan so that tea time can be a little more elegant.

4. Wood Letters

This idea is perfect for dorm décor and your preppy sorority girlfriends. Be creative by adding your own touch to it with gems, glitter, or even modge podge pictures. JMDOnline.com shows you how to create this stripped glitter look in case you want to get design inspired.

5. “Open when…” Letters

Does your best friend go to school far away? Inspire and uplift them with these “Open When…” letters; the cheapest and best gift idea guaranteed to put a smile on anyone’s face. All it takes is a pen, some markers and a couple of envelopes. This gift idea also is perfect for partners as well!

Photo credit: Giphy

Bri Hayes

George Mason University '20

Brianna "Bri" Hayes is a Community Health, pre-nursing student from Richmond, Virginia studying at George Mason University with a strong passion for editorial and journalistic writing. Brianna spent her whole high school career studying communications and media relations under a broad spectrum, including experience in journalism, public relations and marketing, videography, film and production, graphic design, and photography. At Mason, she’s the president of the National Pan-Hellenic Council and a member of various organizations including the Omicron Iota Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Patriot Activities Council, the Akoma Circle Mentoring Group, and Student Involvement. In her spare time, Brianna likes to read and explore new places and things. After graduation, she hopes to fulfill a career in nursing and public health.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com