emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

20 DIY Holiday Gifts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Tis’ the season for holiday gift giving! Being the busy collegiettes we are, thinking of gift ideas can be tough. Below are 20 easy and affordable DIY gifts for friends and family. After all, handmade gifts are the best and most sentimental of all gifts to give!

Personalized Mug Spruce up a plain mug with initials, polka dots, or hearts, you name it! Fill up your mug with candy, add ribbon, and package in lovely holiday gift-wrap.

Personalized Mug Intructions Here

Body Scrub Who doesn’t love pampering themselves? Create a homemade body scrub with essential oils and package in a mason jar or bottle. Organic body care is good on your skin and affordable.

Body Scrub Instructions Here

Wooden Letter Visit a craft shop and go crazy! Pick out a wooden letter, paint, mod podge, pearls, beads, and get creative. By adding a ribbon to the back, the recipient of the gift can display his or her letter for all to see! You can also hot-glue gun on some cheap ornaments for that holiday feel!

Wooden Letter Instructions Here

Lip Butter

Chapped lips are never fun. Create a homemade butter balm set of any flavor for friends and family. They’ll thank you when the colder weather comes through!

Lip Butter Instructions Here

Reindeer Cocoa Cones Pick any delicious cocoa powder mix, mini marshmallows, piping bags, goo-goo eyes, red pom-poms, and brown pipe cleaners. This is a fun and easy gift to make and give!

Reindeer Cocoa Cones Instructions Here

Picture Frame Craft stores and dollar stores provide picture frames of all shapes and sizes. Pick up your brush, colorful paint, and get creative. Add in a picture, and you’re all set.

Picture Frame Instructions Here

Glitter Vase Who doesn’t love glitter? A clear glass or plastic vase, mod podge, and glitter will do the trick. This is sure to add a little sparkle to any room.

Glitter Vase Instructions Here

Candy Sleighs For those who love candy, this is the perfect gift. Two candy canes, an assortment of candy bars, a hot glue gun, and ribbon will do the trick.

Candy Sleigh Intructions Here

Ornaments Liven up a tree with personalized ornaments. Making ornaments are easy and affordable, so you can create more than one in no time!

Ornaments Instructions Here

Plastic Cup filled with Goodies Buy a clear plastic tumbler and fill it with goodies like candy, nail polish, ChapStick, mini body sprays, or lotion! Top off the display with a bow and decorate with puff paint.

Plastic Cup Instructions Here

Holiday Themed Pretzel M&M Hugs Based on the holiday your friend or family member is celebrating this season, bake some Pretzel M&M Hugs and place it into a holiday themed cookie tin. Cute and delicious!

Holiday Themed Pretzel M&M Hugs Instructions Here

Mason Jar Manicure Set Buy a mason jar from your local craft store, and make the perfect manicure set. Fill your jar with a nail polish, polish remover, filer, cotton balls, and lotion. This is the ideal gift for those who love to change up their polish!

Mason Jar Manicure Set Instructions Here

Chalkboard Coasters Coasters are a great house-warming gift, and they are very easy to make. Decorate your coasters with any theme you’d like. You can find all these items at any craft store.

Chalkboard Coasters Intructions Here

S’mores Kit A s’mores kit can satisfy any sweet tooth! Purchase clear acetate boxes, baker’s twine, and all ingredients for the perfect s’more. Put your own twist on the gift by adding any extras, like peppermint candy or candy canes.

S’mores Kit Intructions Here

Monogram Canvas If you love to paint, make a personalized canvas. Place the initials of the person receiving the gift on the canvas. Visit your local craft store for canvas and acrylic paint. Get crafty, and add burlap ribbon, pearls, or beads to your masterpiece.

Monogram Canvas Instructions Here

Personalized Keepsake Box Buy any wooden or cardboard box from a local craft store, and decorate any way you want. Fill the box with anything ranging from candy, nail polish, or hair ties!

Personlized Keepsake Box Instructions Box

Ombre Teacup Candles Buy or find a teacup that you can up-cycle into a candle. Many thrift stores will have teacups and their saucer. Buy candlewicks, wax, and scented drops to create the best smelling candle ever!

Ombre Teacup Candle Instructions Here

Peppermint Brownies in a Jar Follow the brownie recipe in the link, and add all ingredients into a mason jar. Tie some ribbon, candy canes, and a recipe tag, and you’re all set!

Peppermint Brownies in a Jar Instructions Here

Winter Wreath Visit a craft store and pick up a wreath tube, cheap tulle, and some wintery snowflakes from the dollar store. Voila, you’re all done!

Winter Wreath Instructions Here

We Whisk You A Merry KISSmase This is one of the simplest and cutest of gifts to give this season. Purchase a large bag of Hershey kiss candies, a whisk, cellophane, ribbon, and a tie on (Printable in link).

We Whisk You A Merry KISSmas Instructions Here

George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com