samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Best Outfits to Buy for Your Internship

We’re back with another themed week on the site: Career Week. This semester, Her Campus FSU has created themed weeks dedicated to exclusive content we believe all of our readers should have access to. Keep up on the site for the next few days as we cover everything from what NOT to put on your resume to a Q&A with an RMPD major currently interning at ELLE magazine in NYC. This week definitely won’t be filled with the cliché career advice you’re always hearing (take for instance there’s even a piece on how to deal with rejection). Don’t miss out! 

Eventually we all have to graduate college to soon find out that adulting is hard. I will miss my everyday uniform of an oversized t-shirt, shorts and a messy bun. The time will come, though, when we all have to wear real clothes on a regular basis. But before we jump straight into the real world, we have these test-runs called “internships,” which give us a perfect opportunity to upgrade our wardrobes. 

The two major rules to creating your internship wardrobe are:

1. Research the company’s brand

Remember what your interviewer was wearing. What was the office culture like? If you aren’t sure how casual the employees are, it is always safer to overdress.

2. Wear what makes you feel confident!

Dress for the job you want. Make sure your skirt and dress lengths are appropriate, and watch for things that are too body conscious. You want to be as comfortable as possible, and looking confident will help them see that you’re the most put together and professional intern they have.

For the Fashion Intern:

Courtesy: Pinterest

Courtesy: Pinterest

Your outfit should reflect that you know what is trending right now, or your own unique style. Marie Claire magazine did a short profile about their college interns. Flipping through the gallery you can see that the interns in every department are stylish and pretty casual. Check it out here!

For the Creative Intern:

Courtesy: Pinterest

Courtesy: Instagram

Similar to the fashion intern, you’ll want to show off your artistic personality with fun prints, a bold pop of color, or an awesome pair of shoes. Some internships in this field, like PR or advertising, have a business casual dress code. J. Crew is a perfect brand when looking for fun professional clothing, like a stylish printed pant.

For the Casual Intern:

Courtesy: Pinterest

If the office culture is more informal, dress up a nice pair of dark jeans. You still want to look professional, so wear booties or a nice statement necklace. If you haven’t seen Google‘s offices, definitely check it out. Their laidback environment doesn’t require a suit.a

For the Formal Business Intern:

Courtesy: Pinterest

Courtesy: Pinterest

If you will be interning in a more formal corporate setting, like a law office or in accounting, a button down is going to be your go-to. Most people will be wearing suits… you’re going to need to get a few staple separates to start you off like a classic black dress, a pencil skirt or a blazer. Don’t be afraid to add color – you want to stand out! Let Elle Woods be your fashion guru.

If you’re looking for any outfit inspiration, Pinterest, Instagram and fashion blogs make it easy. If you can’t get your keywords for the search together, watch The Devil Wears Prada. Anne Hathaway’s “after” is honestly the only example you need. Once you’re dressed the part, there’s no stopping you. You’re going to kill it!

Her Campus at Florida State University.