samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Deal With Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Falmouth chapter.

It is getting to the time when we are pulling our hair out, trying to revise for exams and attempting to get deadlines done. This means we are inevitably going to get stressed.

It is important we know what stress is; the symptoms of it and what you can do to relieve the stress that you are having.

What is stress?

Stress causes a surge of hormones in your body. When your body detects stress, a small region in the base of the brain called the hypothalamus reacts by stimulating the body to produce hormones that include adrenaline and cortisol (the steroid hormone).

How do I know when I am stressed?

If you think you are suffering from stress, keep an eye out for these symptoms:

• Poor appetite
  • Dizziness
  • Blurred vision
  • Forgetfulness
  • Tiredness
  • Difficult sleeping or difficulty waking up
  • Mood swings
  • Negativity
  • Isolation
  • Procrastination

There are so many symptoms when it comes to how people show stress. However, everyone is different and not every person will experience the same symptoms. 

What things can I do to help me relieve my stress?

1. Listen to happy music
  2. Go to the spa
  3. Do plenty of exercise
  4. Take some days off
  5. Eat well (Fruit and Vegetables and a balanced diet)
  6. Take a bath
  7. Reading
  8. Cuddle a pet (if you have one)
  9. Go shopping; retail therapy is ALWAYS a good idea!
  10. Dance

Taking time out of your stressful day to do something fun will not only help you feel less stressed, but could possibly make you more productive too!

Good luck with exams and deadlines!

Sources:

http://www.bupa.co.uk/individuals/health-information/directory/s/hi-stresshttp://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/advice/factfile_az/exams_stress

I'm a first year Journalism Student at Falmouth University.