gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Relationship Tips From Our Favourite T.V Couples

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Although it may be true that we spend more time watching TV series than working on our degrees, HCX thinks that there’s a lot to be learnt from the characters in our favourite shows, especially when it comes to love.

1. The O.C – Seth and Summer

What we can learn: Geeky guy gets together with the most popular girl in school. Seth and Summer prove the age-old adage that opposites attract.

[pagebreak]

2) How I Met Your Mother – Marshall and Lily

What we can learn: Marshall and Lily prove that you can have a lasting relationship throughout university, and potentially even after college. They also show that humour and fun make a relationship work.

[pagebreak]

3) The Big Bang Theory – Penny and Leonard

What we can learn: Penny and Leonard show that a relationship can work if you have different interests. Leonard may be super brainy and Penny really into her celebrity culture, but that doesn’t stop them from having a fun and worthwhile relationship. Beauty and the Geek reborn.

[pagebreak]

4) SATC – Carrie Bradshaw and Mr Big

What we can learn: Fight fire with fire. You can be a hot, independent woman without relying on a man (cue ghetto click). Yes, Carrie may have been stood up at the altar, but she looked fantastic and made Big regret his decision wholeheartedly.

[pagebreak]

5) MIC – Spencer and Caggie

What we can learn: Will they, won’t they? Caggie shows that playing hard to get really does make them leaving them begging for more…

[pagebreak]

6) The Inbetweeners – Carly and Simon

What we can learn: Our favourite group of teenage boys have taught us many things about the inner workings of the male mind. Jay proves that men really do think about sex every 5 seconds, Neil is nice but dim, Will generally freaks girls out with his awful chat and Simon shows that guys can be level-5 cling-ons too. The way to a woman’s heart is not to throw up on her little brother, vandalise her driveway or expose yourself at a school fashion show.

[pagebreak]

7) Homeland – Carrie and Brody

What we can learn: One emotionally unstable FBI agent + one Congressman/double agent for a religious extremist group = problems. Carrie and Brody’s relationship highlights that when needy girls go for bad boys, not only will they get their hearts broken, but they may end up having a psychotic break down as well.

[pagebreak]

8) Fresh Meat – Oregon and Professor Tony Shales (and his son…) and Josie and Kingsley

What we can learn: The first example goes without saying: it is never, ever a good idea to sleep with your tutor. However, it is an even worse idea to then date his son. Awkward. Josie and Kingsley’s relationship had us hanging around all series, wondering if he would break up with Heather to finally get it on with Josie. Their relationship shows that if both of you are too proud to take it to the next level and insist on one-upmanship, things will have an explosive ending… as the final episode ‘climactically’ proved!

[pagebreak]

9) Friends – Ross and Rachel

What we can learn: This really has to be the ultimate TV-show romance. He loved her from childhood, and she didn’t realise until the final series (despite them having a baby together and Ross saying her name at the altar…) Ross and Rachel prove that good things come to those who wait, and that there is such a thing as soul mates.

[pagebreak]

10) Anyone in My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding

What we can learn: We’re not sure if there’s anything at all to learn from this programme. Unless you count the motto that anything looks better covered in diamonté, glitter, fake tan and hairspray?

Next time that you feel guilty for sitting infront of some trashy T.V, remember this article, and class your indulgent watching as part of your relationship education-after all it may be that you learn a lot!

Photo Credits:

www.makeshiftbookmark.com

www.fanpop.com

queenofthenerds.net

collider.com

mc4-inspirasi.blogspot.com

inbetweeners.wikia.com

www.tumblr.com

www.ign.com

www.student365.co.uk

www.dailymail.co.uk

realscreen.com

thepursuitofclosethappiness.blogspot.com

Caroline Butten is a Third Year English student at The University of Exeter. She is planning to pursue a career in Publishing after graduating next Summer, and finds being President of the Exeter chapter of Her Campus is a great way to develop her editorial, marketing and business skills. As well as writing and editing articles for Her Campus, Caroline has a lifestyle blog and enjoys posting about fashion, beauty and baking. Her favourite publications include the UK magazines Company, Glamour and Cosmopolitan. Favourite books include The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd, Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë and any kind of cookery book. On campus, she is a part of the Netball and Lacrosse Clubs, and also studies French language as part of her degree. After University, Caroline plans to spend some time working in Paris both to improve her French and to explore in depth the city she loves.