CONTRACEPTION OF THE WEEK: THE IMPLANT

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Last week we informed you about all the pros and cons of the injection. This week HCX wants to introduce you to the implant. This is a relatively new form of contraception but one that is becoming increasingly popular. If you have heard about the implant and want to know more about it, this is the article for you!

What is the implant?

The contraceptive implant is a small flexible tube (roughly 40mm long, approximately the size of a hair grip) that is inserted under the skin in the arm. There are several different types of implants. Implants that were inserted after October 2010 are called Nexplaxon. If you decide to go for this form of contraception, you will therefore get the Nexplaxon implant. The implant works for three years- so if you get it inserted in your fresher year, it will run out when you graduate!

1. How does the implant work?

The implant like the IUD and injection, contains the hormone progesterone. If you have forgotten about what progesterone does, let us remind you. Progesterone thickens the mucus of the cervix to prevent sperm from reaching the egg and thins the lining of the womb making it less likely for the womb to accept a fertilised egg. It is inserted into your arm by a doctor in a short procedure which according to a friend of HCX is “painless”. 

1. How effective is the implant?

According to the NHS, the implant  is “more than 99% effective.” Pretty good odds if you are asking us!

1. Benefits of the implant
  • For those of you, who like a visual representation of your contraception, you can feel the implant in your arm once it is inserted so you will never forget that you are protected from pregnancy.
  • As the implant lasts for three years, you do not have to worry or think about it until it has run out. However, remember: this contraception only protects you from pregnancy so remember to use a condom to protect yourself from STIs.
  • The implant has also been known to reduce period pain which means no more uncomfortable periods!
  • There is no evidence that the implant makes you put on weight, something that many girls associate with contraception.
  1. Disadvantages of the implant
  • One in two women who have had the implant experience irregular bleeding for the first three to six months after it has been inserted.
  • It does involve a small procedure which some people may find scary- however this is painless and local anaesthetic used.  
  • After the procedure the area around the implant might be swollen or a little sore for a couple of days.
  • There is a risk of the wound becoming infected so make sure that you keep it clean.
  1. Where can I get the implant?

If this all sounds good and you want to find out more about the implant. Book an appointment at the student health centre with a doctor, who will happily consult with you about your contraceptive choices. After consultation if you still wish to pursue the implant, they will be able to book you an appointment. If you are unable to visit the student health centre, speak to your family doctor or pop into the local family planning clinic where they will be able to assist you!

We hope that this quick guide has come in handy with helping you make the best decision for you when regarding contraception. If you have any more questions, please visit: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Contraception

Photo Credits: www.patient.co.uk www.guardian.co.uk  http://letgo–and–letgod.tumb…