3 Random Acts of Self-Kindness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

Today is Random Act of Kindness Day, and it’s a great day to be kind and pay attention to those around you. One act of kindness can go a long way and end up making someone a little happier. However, in the midst of all this, you mustn’t forget that today also represents a day for you to be kind to yourself, and put your needs and wants first. Here are 3 ways to practice self-kindness, and make your day or weekend a little better:

1. Splurge

Put aside the books and the laptop, then go and do something nice for yourself. Perhaps that could be a nice walk in the park, or just sitting down with a good book and a cup of tea. But if you really want to be kind to yourself, why not got out on the town with your mates? Or treat yourself to lunch? Or buy that new pair of shoes? There’ll be time to bring all the worries to forefront later, just enjoy yourself today by getting yourself something you’ve been wanting for a while.

2. Disconnect

For those of us with deadlines approaching, this can seem a bit risky. Those of us not stressing about work could, however, benefit from a day or even just a few hours away from our laptops and phones. Turn it all off, and go outside for a while, or just relax and unwind at home for a bit. It’s always great to get away from your screens, as they always seem to remind us of all the work we have to do. 

3. Talk 

One of the best ways of being kind to yourself and your needs, in my opinion, is talking and expressing how you feel. Whether it’s a friend, a housemate, or a relative, it’s always good to have someone to vent to who can help you relax and deal with all your problems. A quick phone call to your parents, or even your grandparents, is a surefire to make your day a little brighter. 

Random Acts of Kindness day happens all over the world, and people are being kind to those around them in loads of small little ways. But the most important thing about today is to remember that you deserve kindness too. Practice a bit of self-kindness and your days will look so much better! 

Molly Griffiths

Exeter Cornwall '18

I grew up in Paris but was born in Ireland to an Irish mother and a British father. I'm literally obsessed with movies and literature. I also love animals and discovering new things.