This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

Why Scales Are Bullshit

She dances around in her underwear, flaunting and admiring herself in the mirror after a long, sweaty run. She works everyday to be as healthy as possible, and every now and then she likes to step on the scale after each shower. That radiant smile turns to disgust and disappointment when she sees she hasn’t lost any weight, and might have even gone up half a pound or so. This is where the scale begins to take over because she was so happy until she saw that number. That one dreaded number on the scale made her go from feeling on the top of the world right to the bottomless pit of insecurity.

Here is what anyone who feels this way needs to realize – you and your health are worth far more than the number on the scale! You need to focus on how you feel when you look in the mirror and on what your body can do. Focus on all that you are instead of comparing yourself to the number, or anyone else. The number does not define you in any way, shape, or form. What you need to ask yourself is: Am I healthy? Do I feel good today? Do I feel sexy and confident looking in the mirror? Do I love who I am on the inside? These are things that actually matter! The way you treat and feel about yourself is the way other people are going to see you and treat you. So treat your body with respect, love, and care. Be the person that you want to be and others will see the drive and inspiration within you. Nobody will ever know the number on the scale, but what they will know is how kind you are, how intelligent you are, and how amazing of a person you are.

It is also important to remember that your weight is influenced by more factors than you may think. If you’re weighing yourself at the end of a long day and you have three meals, lots of water, and possibly haven’t even pooped yet then you’re probably carrying an extra 2-3 pounds. If you’re getting, or have your period that’s going to change things too. Plus muscle is more dense than fat, so you could be working out and have a great new body, but still weigh the same as you did before you began. Scales are also usually inaccurate. I could have a 5 pound difference from my scale at home compared to the scale at the gym. These are just things you can’t control.

You have to remember that your body and mind is unique, and comparing yourself to someone else will never work in your favor. It is impossible to look exactly like the gorgeous instagram models we all creep on and wish to be like. You have to set your own goals and find what works best for you and your body. We all have different body shapes and different personalities for a reason. So own who you are and be the best possible version of yourself. Focus on health, endurance, strength, speed, and love for yourself! Then possibly throw out the scale???  

https://media.giphy.com/media/PbQXnRgmtYCE8/giphy.gif