rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Survival Guide: Pre-Finals SZN Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

It’s that time in the semester again: it’s the time when you realize that there are only two weeks until Thanksgiving Break, three weeks before we start finals…the time when it’s impossible to think of anything else besides how little time there is left to redeem or solidify your grades. If you are feeling the stress, here are some do’s and don’t’s of coping with it:

DO’S:

1. Exercise

Exercise is a great way to relax when you’re feeling overwhelmed. This doesn’t mean you have to go on a 5-mile run followed by maxing out on bench press, but take a 10-minute walk outside to clear your head and get your legs moving.

2. Take Breaks

It takes a special person to be able to work for 8 hours straight without needing a mental break, so don’t stress yourself out trying to do so! A short episode of The Office is a great way to mentally decompress after overloading on school work.

3. Treat Yourself

Make goals and reward yourself for achieving them. I like to reward myself in the form of food, such as a piece of chocolate when I finish a reviewing a section of biology.  

4. Get Enough Sleep (or take naps)

It’s not easy to study when you’re sleep deprived. Instead of pulling an all-nighter, go to bed by midnight and wake up early the next morning to study, because the sleep you get when you go to bed after midnight is not as restful. But, if you insist, make sure you at least recover with a nap the next day.

5. Stay Focused

It’s so easy to get distracted when your phone is sitting in front of you. The mantra of “out of sight, out of mind” is very true! Keep your phone in your bag or in your room so you won’t feel the temptation.

6. Create Achievable Goals

As much as we want to believe we are super-humans and can successfully study five chapters of bio in one night, it’s just not true. By being unrealistic, you may become easily overwhelmed or distracted. If you set achievable goals, reaching them might make you feel even more motivated!  

DON’TS:

1. Binge Eat Junk Food, or Skip Meals

This is so easy to do when you are too worried about studying, but keep in mind that eating that whole pizza is not going to feel so good in about 30 minutes. But also make sure you are eating because you need some sort of energy (or you will just crash).

2. Waste Time On Your Phone

Use your phone for an occasional mental break, because as much as you think you can take a minute on your phone and return to studying, it’s likely that this will turn into a 30-minute distraction that will only put you further behind in your work.

3. Drink Too Much Coffee

I love my coffee as much as the next person. I will admit that I am guilty of drinking way too much of it, but being wired from coffee will just make you jittery and lead to difficulty in concentrating if you overdo it.

As finals are nearing, you may find yourself stressing out, but keep in mind these do’s and don’ts to make the final weeks of the semester more bearable.

Karina is a senior majoring in Anthropology and Human Biology at Emory University, currenlty contemplating what to do with her life post-graduation. In her free time she enjoys spending too much time on instagram and pinterest, traveling, eating too much food, watching Indie movies on Netflix, and going to concerts of her favortite punk rock bands. Most likely doing all of this with a cup of coffee in her hand. 
Her Campus at Emory University