Greek Week Returns; Aims to Promote Unity Among 4 Greek Councils

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

An overpopulated basement with sweaty college students, stacks of red solo cups, blasting techno music, a sticky floor, girls tripping in their 5-inch heels, boys raging in their frat tanks, and a cooler labeled “fruit punch” that your mom warned you about before freshman year.

This is the stereotype that probably pops into your mind when you think about college Greek life.  Fortunately, Greek life at Emory offers much more than just the standard toga-themed frat party. For the first time in two years, Greek organizations at Emory are participating in Greek Week, a series of events that aim to promote Greek spirit by bringing all four of the Greek governing bodies together. 

College junior Amanda Tendler, vice president of programming for Intersorority Council (ISC), said that she and College senior Lauren Browning, president of programming for ISC, are excited to revamp Greek Week at Emory.

“We want to make it a long-lasting tradition,” Tendler said.  “We are trying to strengthen the unity between ISC, IFC [Interfraternity Council], NPHC [National Pan-Hellenic Council], and MGC [Multicultural Greek Council].  There is much more to Greek life than just frat row.”

The theme for this year’s Greek Week is Survivor.  On Monday, there will be a banner competition.  Each team will create a banner to represent themselves and hang it by 10 a.m. in a creative place on campus.  On Tuesday, there will be trivia quiz bowl at BurgerFi in Emory Point from 7:30 p.m. to 10 p.m.  On Wednesday, there will be Greek Wonderful Wednesday with King of Pops and a Red Cross Blood Drive at Asbury Circle from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.  If you sign up to donate blood, you can earn points for your team, and if you donate money to the Red Cross, you can pie someone.  On Thursday, there will be a Powder Puff football game on McDonough Field from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.  On Friday, there will be a Strong Man “Greek God” Competition on Sorority Lawn at 4 p.m.  Greek Week will end on Saturday with a block party on Eagle Row from 2-5 p.m. 

College senior Courtney Miller, member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Incorporated and a member of the planning committee for NPHC, has been working hard to promote unity among the four Greek councils.

“One way we are facilitating that is by having teams for Greek week to build and strengthen brotherly and sisterly relations,” Miller said.

During the week of September 16, teams will compete against each other to earn points and try to win Greek Week.  Each team includes an ISC chapter, two IFC chapters, and one or two NPHC or MGC chapters. 

“This is a great way for the various Greek chapter members to get to know each other,” said Skylar Green, Delta Delta Delta representative.  “It is also a great way to promote Greek Life on campus to prospective Greek members.” 

The members of IFC, ISC, NPHC, and MGC who have dedicated much time to ensure the success of Greek Week are motivated to recreate the tradition and raise awareness about Greek life at Emory.

“It’s about expanding horizons and showing Greeks in a different light,” Browning said.  “It’s important to have people meet new people in the Greek community, ease tensions, and promote unity between the four councils.”

If you’re bored with running around to the same three frats on a Saturday night, then I suggest you participate in Greek Week.  This event will provide you with an opportunity to meet people you don’t usually run into on the row and foster new relationships with members of different Greek organizations.  And the best part is you’ll get a free tank to add to your massive Greek clothing collection!

Her Campus at Emory University