Five Day Trips to Take Out of Atlanta This Fall Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Spending fall break at Emory this year? While it’s a great chance to catch up on homework and your Netflix shows, there’s also no better opportunity to explore the area around Atlanta! Getting out of the Emory bubble and exploring my home-away-from-home has been one of my favorite parts of my Emory experience; I love the feeling of adventure I get when I’m exploring someplace new and different. With these “daycations,” I hope you get to experience that too!

1. Stone Mountain Park

Photo Via Atlanta Trails 

At Stone Mountain Park, Georgia’s most visited attraction, you can spend the day hiking on 15 miles of wooded trails or try the Sky Hike, one of the nation’s longest adventure trails. My favorite thing to do here is hike up to the top of the mountain and watch the sunset.

2. Six Flags Over Georgia

Photo Via Atlanta Magazine

Looking for some thrills? Six Flags Over Georgia might be right up your alley. With Halloween coming up, Six Flags has some ~spooky~ activities set up, so be sure to check them out!

3. Roswell Mill Waterfall

Photo Via Atlanta Trails 

The Roswell Mill Waterfall off the Vickery Creek Trail is a great place to enjoy the last few days of Georgia’s warm summer weather. Make sure to bring your swimsuit, sunscreen and jump into the water before you head back!

4. Athens

Photo Via StyleBlueprint 

Further than some of the other destination on this list, Athens is home to the University of Georgia. While here, you can watch a Bulldogs game, visit the Georgia Museum of Art and explore the State Botanical Garden of Georgia, all for free!             

5. Chattanooga            

Photo Via StaticSpace

If you’re really feeling adventurous, explore a new city and a new state! Set along the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains in southern Tennessee, Chattanooga is a great place to hike, explore Civil War history and visit a vibrant downtown. Make sure to check out the views from Rock City, where, from atop of spectacular rock formations, you have a view of seven states.

I hope that you will break out of your comfort zone, take a step outside Emory and explore these destinations! Remember, you only get one fall break a year, so make the best of it!

Her Campus at Emory University