5 Signs You’ve Chosen the Perfect Roommate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

A lot about the prospect of coming to college is intimidating. That burning desire to get a perfect GPA, making a great set of friends, building a promising future. But the moment that you log on to Emory’s housing website, every other worry fades away. Because right there, the realization hits you: if you’re about to spend eight, long months holed up in the same room with the same person…she better be perfect. Now that we’ve been here for over a month and settled in with our roommates, here are some telltale signs that we’ve succeeded in picking the perfect person to live with.

SIGN #1: When Silence Isn’t Awkward 

Imagine this: After weeks of emailing your roommate over the summer, you’re finally about to meet her! You think about all the nights that you’re about to spend staying up and laughing together. You meet, greet, talk about how excited you are, how great the weather is, how excited you are, your classes, how excited you are….and then… nothing. You’re out of things to say. How awkward, right? 

Not always! The most important thing for two roommates to share is this realization that not every gap has to be filled with chatter. Silence really can be bliss. It’s only after you’ve spent your time in silence with someone without having it get awkward that you know that you’re truly comfortable with her.  

SIGN #2: Scheduling is for Mere Mortals

Honestly, it doesn’t get any better than having a roommate who can read your mind. No, I don’t mean in a cheesy, finishing your sentences and having silent conversations kind of a way. Rather, in a very practical sense – I simply mean that your timings are impeccable. You don’t need a schedule to use the shower or a timetable of who cleans when – you just do it whenever it’s necessary. She’s always there when you need her, but also knows to give you some space when you need it. 

SIGN #3: Same Size, Same Taste 

Ever open up your closet and think, “I have nothing to wear!” Or, have you ever bought the cutest top but have nothing that goes with it? Well, you know what they say about the perks of having a roommate the same size as you – their closet is your closet!

SIGN #4:  Matching Moods

After a grueling day of back-to-back classes, meetings, homework, and more, sometimes all you want is to get back to your room and have some “me” time. More often than not, your roommate might choose that very moment to gab about something that could most definitely wait. But what if she understood how you felt and learned to choose her moments more appropriately? This way, when you would talk, you’d never stop; but, at the same time, when you’d be silent, it would be peaceful as could be. But, of course, she’s also always down for a dance party when you’re ready for one. 

SIGN #5: We Don’t Pick 8 AM Classes for a Reason

Sleep is not for the weak – it’s for every college kid out there. We prize each minute of sleep and snatch every extra second that we can get of it. Of course, this is only possible with a little help from your roomie.  

ALARM 1 – 7:00am: Her alarm rings, and while she stays asleep, you wake up (but soon go back to sleep, realizing you have thre more hours till your 10 am class).  

ALARM 2 – 7:05am: You had only just fallen back into a dream when that iPhone guitar tune started playing again.  

ALARM 3 – 7:15am: You’re actually thankful for that 10-minute gap between alarms instead of the usual 5-minute gap. Because that’s what your life’s come to: being thankful for five extra minutes of sleep.  

If your roommate does this- know that it really isn’t that uncommon. And as long as it doesn’t affect you, you shouldn’t have a problem. But sleeplessness does strange things to people. So don’t let your roommate break that perfect streak of hers — just tell her how you feel. Then again, if she really is perfect, she’s probably already figured it out.  

Whether or not you’ve chosen the perfect roommate, it’s important to remember that rooming is obviously a two-way street. So, the real question is: are you the perfect roommate? 

Her Campus at Emory University