This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

I remember up until quite recently I suffered from “gym intimidation”, meaning that if I ever had the desire to do arm day, I would literally run up the stairs and isolate myself in a room where no one was, just to lift weights. I feel like this intimidation plagues not just women but men, too. Seeing a fit person lifting weights after having not gone to the gym in a while would intimidate anyone.  That being said, here are a few tips to overcoming gym “intimidation”

1. Truly, no one cares.

As horrible as it sounds, no one really cares what you are doing when you are working out. I know for a fact when I am at the gym, I am not staring at others, seeing if they are using correct form or how many reps they are doing. If someone is looking at you, they are most likely curious and want to try your exercise.

2. Find a workout buddy.

My sister and I went to the gym together a lot, at the beginning of our “fitness journey.” We were inseparable during our exercises, but now we tend to do different things because our bodies are different. When you first go to a gym, however, having a familiar friendly face will definitely make your transition easier.

3. Avoid “rush” hours.

This is pretty self explanatory, but if you feel uncomfortable with a gym full of people, pick a time when not a lot of people go. Slowly, as you become more comfortable with being at the gym, you can adjust that time if you want.  

4. Read the instructions on machines.

Maybe this was just a “me” thing, but I remember I would seldom use a machine like a “seated leg press” or a “cable bicep bar” because I thought people would look at me weird if I did not know how to use it. After realizing everyone needs to start somewhere, I used these machines in my daily workout.

5. Research and Plan

I do this a lot more now than when I first began working out.. I maximize my workout by researching exercises I could do such as “arm workouts” or “glutes and quad workouts”. Find fitness Youtubers that have workouts that are attainable for your level of fitness (My personal favorite is Grace Fituk at the moment; link to her channel here). Planning your workouts in advance, knowing what you are doing and where you need to go during the workout definitely will ease your stress about the gym.  

When I started to work out more frequently, I became more and more comfortable with myself being at the gym. I came to realize no one cares what you are doing at the gym, because they are too invested in what they are doing. If you utilize these tips, it will become easier and easier to go to the gym. You will feel the drive to maintain your fitness, and fall in love with the gym like I did!

Hi I'm Angela McPhee, I am a Communications and Media Studies major with a minor in Marketing. I love being active (physically and mentally ), but also I love those days where you literally dont move from your bed and just watch the Office.
Gianna is a freshman at Emmanuel College and is really excited to see what this year has in store for her. Along with writing for Her Campus, Gianna participates in Yoga Club, Zumba Club, and Colleges of the Fenway Dance Project. In her free time, you will most likely find her watching Friends and sipping tea out of her Central Perk mug.