Business Casual Cute: How to Dress Appropriately for Work

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

With the start of summer jobs and internships, you may soon be experiencing that moment we all have when you search through your closet and think, “I have nothing to wear!” You’ll want to go shopping, but may be a bit confused about what exactly to buy. What is “business casual” attire? And what if you can’t find the right clothes at the right prices? Fear not! This article will help you determine which pieces of clothing are appropriate for both jobs and internships, and where they can be found at an affordable cost!

First, let’s tackle which articles of clothing are appropriate for work…

• Tops: This may be common knowledge, but tops that show midriffs are an absolute no-go. They also shouldn’t be too tight, but rather fitted or semi-fitted. To make a fitted shirt less casual and more appropriate for work, pair it with a blazer or a cardigan. You should also wear a blazer or a cardigan if a top has very thin straps. Essentially, a blazer should be your new best friend when it comes to work clothes. Halter tops, strapless tops, sheer tops, and tops that are low-cut in the front or back are also not appropriate for work. If a top is slightly sheer, it’s important to wear a camisole or tank top underneath so you don’t reveal your bra or midriff. Try to avoid t-shirts and tops with graphic designs or words on the front. However, patterns that aren’t too busy are okay, and some tops with simple graphics are acceptable depending on your place of work.

• Bottoms: Let’s start with skirts. Skirts are especially good for summer jobs and internships because shorts are generally not business-appropriate. That being said, it’s important to be mindful of the length of a skirt. Any skirt that lies more than one inch above the knee is not appropriate, even if your are wearing tights underneath. You should also avoid skirts that have a high slit in the back, though a moderate slit is okay. Just like a little black dress, you can’t go wrong with a simple, black pencil skirt in your wardrobe. With pants, you have more options and variety regarding business casual outfits. However, let me get this rule out of the way first: no jeans, even dark wash. Instead, you should opt for a chino pant, cigarette pant, or dress pant. Fortunately, all fits are appropriate, from flare to slim. However, just like tops, you don’t want your pants to be too tight.

• Dresses: Basically, dresses follow all the rules and guidelines given for tops and skirts! Just to review: nothing more than one inch above the knee, avoid extremely tight fits and low cut necklines, and the straps must be thicker than an inch. Some specific dress styles that are appropriate for work include sheath, skater and peplum dresses; Pinterest these terms for endless amounts of inspiration!

• Shoes: Shoes are my favorite part of any outfit. Heels are most commonly worn with business casual outfits, but there are some guidelines that go along with them as well. Avoid large platforms – not only will they be uncomfortable, but they don’t compliment most business casual attire. Heel height should be four inches at most. Lastly, the shoes you choose should be comfortable! Chances are, you’ll be on your feet a lot and you don’t want to be sore. Remember: it’s important to have a healthy balance of style and comfort!

• Accessories: In general, accessories are always appropriate and help add flair to business attire. You can wear more simple pieces of jewelry, like a small necklace or simple ring. Or you can go for a more exciting pieces, such as a statement necklace or large bangles. With accessories, you just have to be conscious of their size and color in relation to your outfit. Pieces can stand out a little, as long as they match your outfit. One thing to note about jewelry: facial piercings and gauges are generally inappropriate for work. If you have multiple ear piercings, they are may be okay as long as they look tasteful and do not stand out too much. Be sure to consult the dress code of your work place.

Next, let’s talk about style…

• How to Incorporate Color: A pop of color in your outfit is definitely acceptable and cute! Remember to choose colorful pieces and their placement according to the season and your work setting. Also, don’t overdo it with color! It should be enough to be noticeable without you looking like you just joined the circus or came back from a paintball game.

• The Do’s & Don’ts of Mixing and Matching: A lot of people don’t want to be an outfit repeater so they overbuy clothing. My advice: don’t over buy and break the bank! The key to having a different outfit each day is to buy pieces that compliment each other and can be worn in a variety of different ways. You can have a whole new look on Friday with Monday’s shirt, Tuesday’s blazer and Wednesday’s pants, and no one will know!

Finally, let’s talk about budget…

When you first start out, you may think, “I’m a broke college student. How will I afford this?” There are plenty of stores and online sites out there that sell quality business attire at affordable prices. Here are some to check out:

• Marshalls- Marshalls is my heaven. They have a plethora of high-end clothing, shoes, and accessories at reasonable prices! Though it may be tiring trying to find your size amongst the racks of endless clothing, it’s definitely worth it when you find the perfect bargain buy!

• Nordstrom Rack- This store is very similar to Marshalls, though the prices may be a bit steeper. However, don’t let this discourage you from checking it out. You can find some gems at a great price.

• Rue La La- This is one of my favorite websites to shop. Each day, they have different sales on various pieces of clothing, shoes, and accessories, ranging from 30-70% off. However, their sales only last a few days, so use  them quick before they end!

I hope this article has helped you expand your knowledge on appropriate business casual attire. The most important thing to take from this article that the outfit only matters as long as you feel comfortable and confident in it. In order to demonstrate confidence, you must feel it. So love yourself, love your outfit, and love yourself in your outfit!

Hi I'm Courtney! Here are some cool facts about me: 1) I am adopted from China. 2) I am from New York. 3) I am majoring in Psychology and Spanish. 4) I am currently a sophomore at Emmanuel College. 5) I own a beautiful, majestic Boston Terrier named Princess.
Sammy is a senior at Emmanuel College, majoring in English: Communications & Media Studies with a minor in Music-Theater. She discovered Her Campus through College Fashion Week: Boston, and has since re-launched Emmanuel's chapter and become a National Intern. On campus, Sammy gives weekly tours as an Admissions Ambassador, is a member of the Honors Program and stars in an as many theatrical productions as possible. She was also an Orientation Leader for the Class of 2019. Outside of school, she works as a sales associate at Charlotte Russe and manages a personal style blog called Backyard Beauty. An obsessive organizer, social media addict and fashion maven, Sammy dreams of living a lavish life as a magazine contributor in New York City after graduation. Follow her on Twitter @sammysays19 and Instagram @backyardbeautyxo or visit backyardbeautyxo.tumblr.com/.