What Your Body Is Telling You When You Are Craving Sugar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Do you ever have such an intense craving for sugar that you can’t hold yourself back? Does the clock strike 3:00 pm and you feel the need to grab a donut or candy bar just to stay awake? It happens to the best of us. We often consume too much sugar, which leads to a rise in our sugar tolerance, leading us to want sugar more often.

Why is too much sugar bad? Sugar can lead to diabetes and obesity. If you are in shape and exercise regularly, you are able to burn off the extra sugar you consume, but if you are not very active, your body’s response to the high levels of blood sugar will result in the release of more insulin into your bloodstream, which is very, very bad. Sugar also has the ability to interrupt normal brain function. Because the brain is made mostly of fat, and although it runs on glucose, your brain can get “shorted out” when you consume too much sugar. Sugar also ages us. Large amounts of sugar will increase inflammation, which will lead to vital mineral deficiencies in your body, as well as feeding the bad bacteria growing in your stomach. Too much sugar can also increase depression and anxiety.

When you crave sugar, your body interprets that lack of sugar (as well as lack of high-carb foods) as a nutritional deficiency, which is how your body creates crazy cravings. Processed foods are at the core of the craving dilemma. So many foods are processed, and when we fill our bodies with processed foods, sugar cravings are almost guaranteed. Sugar cravings often lead to weight gain and overeating. Nutrients that our body seeks in certain foods makes us crave foods that are less and less nutritious, which creates even stronger cravings. Remember, sugar cravings can be triggered by anxiety and stress, so don’t forget to unwind and take time for yourself.

To turn off your sugar cravings, you have to manage your stress, enrich your diet with vitamins, minerals and other healthy, natural supplements, and change your eating habits. There are some ways to stop sugar cravings before they even start. Eating plants grown in rich soil, such as pumpkins, sweet potatoes and corn can help satisfy a sweet tooth. If you’re going to eat chocolate, make sure it’s 70%+ cacao dark chocolate—it has less fat and sugar than a regular candy bar and is packed with antioxidants, so it can be good for your heart. Try making your own sweet snacks at home; you can use honey, maple syrup, Stevia and other natural sweeteners, but remember not to use too much! You can make your own trail mix with dried fruit, nuts and some dark chocolate pieces.

Resisting the urge to eat a whole chocolate bar is hard when we are tired, emotional, or stressed. Here are a couple ways you can fend off those pesky cravings. Try a piece of fruit-flavored gum (not mint)—this may trick your brain into thinking you’re eating dessert. Some people put a bit of apple cider vinegar in some water to get rid of those sugar cravings. You can put some cinnamon in whatever you’re eating for a bit of sweetness. Another option is brushing your teeth—there’s no way you are going to want to binge on that pint of ice cream right after brushing. If you really need sugar, try to switch out white processed sugar for agave nectar—it’s natural and sweet. You can always try having a bite of 90% dark chocolate if all else fails; it’s so rich that you won’t want any more than just a little bite!

You can also try combining foods, which may help fend off cravings; try putting a sweet treat with a healthy one together, like having an apple with a little bit of caramel, or having some almonds and chocolate chips. Some find that cutting sugar out completely works best for them; when cutting cold turkey, cravings may take a couple days to vanish! You’ll still have sugar cravings, but you can train your taste buds to be satisfied by less sugar. Also, get active! Go outside and take a quick walk or go out for a run to get your mind off food. Remember to snack regularly—if you wait too long between meals, you’re setting yourself up for overeating. Eat every three to four hours and keep your blood sugar stable with protein and fiber-rich foods, such as whole grains, fruits and vegetables. Happy eating!

Emerson contributor