bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Ways to Stay Healthy During Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

Exams are everyones least favorite time of the semester. It may be the end that brings us to Summer or Winter Break, but the stress we go through makes it feel like the end of the world. Many students rush themselves to the library hoping that they can cram in all the information they decided to push off until the end. Some students will not sleep for days, some will get sick, and others will eat fast food to save time for their studying.

I am here to give you some tips on how to stay healthy during Exams!

• Eat lots of protein and drink lots of water

Eating protein can help you stay full and concentrated. It also will not slow you down like the processed foods you get from McDonalds or Cook Out. Chicken, beef, yogurt, cheese, and beans are all excellent sources of protein. If you are not feeling up for protein, furits and veggies are great and quick snack. Not only are they delicious, but they are healthy for you too! Drinking lots of water is also crucial, it will keep you hydrated, full, and attentive.

• Stay Away From Sugary Coffee Drinks

Drinking Starbucks Venti Frappuccino’s are not going to help. They can have over 64g of sugar! They may help you during the first thirty minutes of drinking it, but after you will crash from all the sugar. Try getting a normal cup of coffee with cream and a little bit of sugar. It may not be as satisfying, but it will keep you up and be healthier for you in the end. If you really want a Frappuccino order a light. It will be half the fat and sugar. The plus is it will taste almost exactly the same as the normal Frappuccino. Also, a fruit smoothie is good too!

• Get Sleep

Sleep is highly import for functioning on a daily basis. If you stay up all night cramming for exams, you will not be able to get all the information in and plus, you’ll look like a zombie. Get your beauty rest, girlfriend. Lack of sleep can cause people to lose focus and not pay attention, as well as they would with a normal amount of sleep. Sleeping is a gift and it needs to be appreciated during Exams. It will help you, trust me. Try to get the eight hours of sleep, if not, do it in increments. Take short naps throughout the day to keep you alert. They say that students who got more sleep, do better on exams and have higher GPA’s. (Just Keep That In Mind)

• Exercise

Did you mean extra fries? No, exercise can help with all of the stress you may go through during exams. Exercise will also give you the energy you need to push through exams. It is also easy to bring some of your materials with you while you exercise. You can read on a stationary bike, treadmill, or elliptical. So it’s a two in one deal!

• Showering

Please keep up with your hygiene during exams. It will help you from getting sick and keep you energized. Taking a shower on a daily basis can help you de-stress and wash all the germs from all the other students you will be living with at the library. Also, you do not have to embarrass yourself walking into an exam smelling terribly and everyone knowing it was you. (Everyone has had a classmate walk in during exams smelling, don’t deny it.)

• Stay Away From Alcohol and Partying

Nothing can get in the way of exams more than alcohol and partying. Partying can take up a lot of your precious time and energy you could have put towards studying. Alcohol is also a big no no. It can dehydrate you and if you get drunk, that is a whole night and day wasted right there. Save it for after exams.

• Calling a Loved One

Last, but not least. Calling a loved one can help tremendously. Seeing a familiar face will help ease you. Also, if you want to you can vent, cry, and ask for advice. Nothing is better than letting it all out to a loved one. They can also give you that final push you need to get through your exams.

I wish everyone the best of luck during your final exams! May the Curve be ever in your favor. Also, Congrats to the Class of 2017!

Lindsey Douglas is currently in her third year at East Carolina University, majoring in Psychology and minoring in Child Development. Her interests include music, history, and the latest news! In her free time, she enjoys reading, watching Netflix, and spending time with friends and family.