Nine Inspirational Women of 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

As we venture into 2017 with wide eyes for the future, lets take a look back at some of the amazing things just a few women, out of so very many, accomplished last year. 

1. Michelle Obama– Where do I even begin… The love this nation has shown for this incredibly intelligent and talented woman is like no other first lady. Not only have we spent 8 years swooning over her adorable relationship with Mr. Prez, but we’ve watched her make so many positive changes through social programs all around the United States. She has stood as a role model and activist for women since entering the white house, but most notably in 2016 her contributing voice for equality on the Democratic campaign trail and her farewell speech made just a few days ago. The First Lady was dedicated to the youth of this country as proof that she believed in the future; I hope we can all aspire to be like her someday. Watch her farewell speech here

2. Hillary Clinton- Whether you supported her in the election or agree with her politics or not, Hillary was the first woman to ever be elected as a presidential candidate in the history of the United States, and that’s worth acknowledgement. Forbes listed her as the second most powerful woman in 2016.  Hillary’s successful political career as Secretary of State a presidential candidate showed women in the US that anything really is possible if you just believe. She stands as a beacon for change in the future for more women in politics. Not only has she worked for women and gender equality, she has been a role model for young women around the nation. 

3. Ellen Degeneres– She honorably received the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2016 for her passionate advocacy for equality and fairness in her work and in her life, according to President Obama. Not only does she host a talk show giving opportunities to individuals around the nation, but she also has been our relatable on-screen friend goals. She has a free spirit and a sense of humor that everyone loves and she has been a figure head for the LGBTQ community throughout her career. 

4. Emma Watson– Our bewitching actress is more than just eye candy; this past year her HeForShe speech for gender equality at the United Nations inspired millions to join her mission for feminism. She has also worked to fight the negative connotations of the word “feminism”, even inspiring Malala to call herself a feminist. “After hearing your speech I decided there’s nothing wrong calling yourself a feminist. So I’m a feminist and we all should be a feminist because feminism is another word for equality”- Malala to Emma.

We also love Emma for her upcoming role in Beauty and the Beast that will make all of our old Disney dreams come true again and inspire young women that anyone can be a princess. Not only is she bringing the role to life, she insisted Belle have a backstory and so now our beloved book worm is an inventor like her father who strives for education and betterment of everyone’s lives. In her role, Watson refused to wear a corset with any of her costumes insisting that Belle was an active princess and she needed the ability to be free and run around to save her father.  She claimed that corsets are restrictive and send out negative body images to young women. Go Emma go. 

5. Shailene Woodley– She was arrested during a peaceful protest at Standing Rock back in October and then spoke out after her release. Woodley noted the laws and treaties being broken between the US Government and Native tribes in the Dakotas for the pipeline construction, and also the perilous past that Native Americans have faced in this country. She was quick to call out the injustice and inequality that was displayed during the protest, arrests, and actions of construction of the pipeline. Read her full speech here

6.Kayla Itsines and Kate Hudson for healthy lifestyles promotions- Kayla is a famous Instagramer known for her inspiring workouts and healthy eating plans. She started her own personal training company in Australia back in 2008 and it’s still going strong today. Kayla seeks to inspire women to be strong and confident in their own bodies. Thanks for another inspirational fitness year Kayla!

Kate was the co-founder of Fabletics, inspiring women of all ages to get active, no matter how that looks: from dance studio workouts to moms chasing kids. While her company plays a large part in keeping prices low and affordable for everyone, Kate was the mastermind behind the idea, thanks Kate for keeping us all looking fab.

7.Beyoncé Knowles– This year not only did Queen B steal our hearts with the release of her new album Lemonade and her Formation World Tour, she inspired her fans to raise $82,000 for the Flint Water Crisis by giving them the option to donate when buying tickets to the World Tour. Beyoncé also wrote out about police brutality in July as a powerful voice from the African American community with her powerful statement “Stop Killing Us”. 

And last but not least

9. Simone Biles– Not only was she named Female Athlete of the year by both AIPS and the Associated Press in 2016, she was also named Woman of the Year by ESPNw. Simone rocked the summer Olympics with championships in both single and team events, but she also has stood as a role model for young women everywhere, encouraging them to strive for their dreams, “Practice creates confidence, confidence empowers you”. 

Molly is from Salina, Kansas and is a second year at the University of Denver. She is currently an International Studies and French major. When Molly isn't writing for HC, she is working as a swim instructor for a private company teaching little kiddos! If she's not working she loves hanging out at Kaladi Brothers Coffee, or thrifting at local thrift shops. Molly is involved in humanitarian organizations and the french club on campus! Molly's motto is, "Follow your arrow no matter where it points".